Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 553
Brief recap... I was injured at work in 2013. I've had 2 neck surgeries & left rotator cuff surgery as a result of my work injury. I've been in pain management for about a year now.
I am having a lot of pain above & below where my fusion is. I also am getting a lot of nerve pain back there & it goes down my left arm. I've been told that I have issues with my ulnar nerve in my left elbow too. (According to EMG).
My ortho doctor, who did my shoulder surgery, suggested that I go get a second opinion on my neck.
This new doctor ordered me a CT/Myelogram, which is scheduled for tomorrow morning (Dec 3).
My question is, how common is it to get a bad headache after this test? I am really concerned because I suffer from bad headaches as it is. The nurse from the hospital called me & did my pre registration. She told me to drink a lot of water today, which I have been doing.

• joowee40joowee40 Mississippi Posts: 99
    I wouldn't say it is common but it does happen and trust me it doesn't feel like any normal type of headache in the least nor a migraine. I had mine done last Monday and went to work Tues like regular and I had a headache that bloomed throughout the morning and so I went back home and laid back down as they had me do after the procedure and it eased unless I got up and by afternoon it was gone. Drink plenty of caffeine which helps to keep the headache away. I had never heard that one so I had them to explain it and it applies to this only. Good luck with your procedure. I have still not gotten the results from mine back yet so I am about to go insane with the waiting. My Drs clinic sucks but the Dr is fantastic.
  • sandi123ssandi123 Posts: 456
    edited 12/02/2015 - 5:40 PM
    The important things to remember are these.....
    You will be flat on your back for a couple hours post myelogram. When you are discharged, go home and rest for the next 24 hours. I was told not to use more than one pillow and not to let my head above 30 degrees for the first 24 hours, unless to use the bathroom or to eat.
    Also drink caffeinated beverages, and lots of them. Regular cola, no diet, regular tea, regular coffee. The more, the better.
    I sat and slept reclined, no higher than 30 degrees for the first 24 hours and then slowly for the next couple of days resumed my regular activities.

• Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 553
    edited 12/02/2015 - 11:48 PM
    I appreciate your responses. I really hope this test gives me the answer to why I'm still having issues.
    I'm not looking forward to the position I will need to have my neck in during the test.
    Especially since I'm not allowed to take my Flexeril or ibuprofen or hydrocodone for 2 days before & 2 days after this. Only able to take Tylenol for breakthrough pain, which does nothing.