Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My wife, the Nurse, my wife a hero

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Matters of the Heart
The night started out as almost any summer night here by the lake. My wife and I were watching TV in bed, it was about 12:30am. We heard a loud crash, my wife figured it was nothing, I got up to investigate. About 3 minutes later my son called us and said call 911, theres been an accident. My wife ran out in her PJ's and flip-flops looking for the problem. Since my son didnt tell me what/were/how I couldnt call 911. My son drive into our cottage driveway and told me it was a boating accident. we called 911, but the incident was already called in. About 300 yards from our house down a bend it appears that a highspeed boat smacked into a fishing boat, then went airborne crashed into the water, ripping the boat apart. They got the boat to the dock, and took out one of thee occupants. My wife ran down onto the dock, assessed the situation and starting CPR. She instructed the other Medics to get an Ambou bag , Airtway and some oxygen. She started CPR and Mouth to Mouth recitation. My son assisted her, while 4 medics watch, and were trying to get their surgical gloves on. My wife has about 30 years experience working in ER's, Dealing with trauma situations, etc. She pretty much determined that this young man was gone, but medically, you keep trying especially when they are that young. I was at the far end of the dock, just keeping people from getting in the way. My wife was pretty much full of blood. every time she did the Mouth to Mouth, blood would be gushing out of this mans ears. After about 30 minutes, they gave up. The other boater had to be extracted and by that time, other medical personnel had arrived at the scene to help. witnesses stated that there were 3 men in that boat when it left the bar/restaurant. But only two were found, so we had to assume the third person was thrown out of the boat. The shore police start to use a dragnet to see if they could find another body. After about an hour and a half, the rest of the Fire/Police/Shore Patrol/Medics were on site so that my wife's services were no longer needed.

I am so proud of my wife. First in her line of work, patients always come first. And for her to direct these other Fire/Police Medics on what to do was really something to watch. When she walked up the dock, her PJ's pretty much covered in blood, blood on her face and in her hair. What scared me the most is that my wife is just recovering from colon surgery three weeks ago and was told to do only light activities. She is fine, but knowing that she put herself at risk to try to save another human being was something quite amazing to see.

We dont know the details on how/what/why things happened, we dont even know how many boats were involved or how many people were suppose to be in each boat. Thats something the police will have to iron out.

When I think at times I solve a major problem at work on a computer environment, and then look at what my wife just did, you really cant compare Life vs Money.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Your story brought tears to my eyes. While this is a terribly sad incident, they are not tears of sadness. They are the tears that come along with this indescribable feeling. The feeling you get when you hear of such heroic acts of unselfishness.

You and your family must be feeling a little out of sorts at the moment, after witnessing this. Please let your wife know, I appreciate her, and I thank her. I haven't met her and I may never, but she is one of the greats. The ones who are out there looking out for us, protecting us, and there for us when we are in need.

And that is greatly appreciated!

• You have an amazing wife, Ron. You must be proud of her.
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Wow..what an event! Our amazing bodies, your wife's adrenaline kicked in and she was on point in seconds. People like her are special, they have something inside them the rest of us don't...just like the 9-11 emergency crews running into those towers.
    Please hug and kiss her for us, and I hope she's progressing with her own health and wellbeing cause we all need people like her so much.

thanks for sharing...and prayers those who will be so hurt for their losses.

• Your wife seems to be amazing. I am going to school to hopefully become a nurse(ER or ICU). This is inspiring and hope to one day be something like her. Congrats on your amazing family.
  • Wow Ron, what an amazing women. I guess the word proud doesn't even come close to what you're feeling now. How sad that these young people had to lose their lives like this, but it certainly wasn't for lack of trying. I've done first aid training and I always hope that I would be calm and able to handle a situation like that, but you never know until you're thrown in there do you?

I don't know what else to say. I bet this isn't what you expected this weekend?! Look after each other :)
  • Ron, tell her that she is a hero in my book, no matter the outcome of that day. There are so many people these days that don't want to get involved, are afraid of "catching" something, or are just so dammed apathetic it makes me sick. Lethargy is rampant. What you, your wife and son did gives me hope that the world may remain a wonderful place.

Hugs to her and to you for picking such a wonderful soul to spend your life with :)

• Ron,

You have a wonderful wife! I would say "take care of her", but I know that those words are not necessary. You do take care of her, you do love her and you are an incredible husband.

Thanks for sharing this with the rest of us.

• Amazing does not cut it. Ron what your wife did was selfless and heroic. You have a wondeful wife.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    I do so appreciate all the kind words that have been said here. There is no doubt that working in the medical field and most of the time dealing with critical care patients is something that takes a special breed. I know, I dont have what it takes to work in a field like that.

But I am sure glad that there are thousands of PA's, Nurses, Medical Technicians, EMT's and more that are there when the need arises.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • That is awesome. I don't know many people who would step up like that! Seeing her do that must have been both frightening and amazing.
  • Well done to your wife Ron. You must be so proud as must she be. The fact the she was recovering from surgery wouldn't have entered her head as she performed CPR. It's instilled in us to perform it in an emergency and the adrenilin takes over and you don't know what you're doing til it's over. I did the v same thing a few months ago when my dad had a respiratory and cardiac arrest in the back of the ambulance and like your story, the medics were watching me!

I hope she 's doing well after her op and this hasn't set her back. She's a braver woman than me to do mouth to mouth! It's banned over here. Send her my best and hope she gets better soon.

• Ron, give your wife an extra big hug from me. It doesn't surprise me that she is this kind of a person. Like attracts like, and you are one of the most generous and kind people here on the forums. What an amazing quality for her to be able to just jump into action and not worry about whether she was physically ready to get back to work. It must have been heart-breaking for her to not be able to save the young man after all that effort, but rewarding still the same to know that she did everything she could. People like her will be blessed for her good deeds.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Ron, the world is a better place for having people who do care, usually unacknowledged unseen and who just get on with it. Our lives have been enhanced by the partners and carers who look after us who without them our achievements would be so less. This role has been one that my wife has done without question given up her dreams and expectations to support me in helping myself and in isolation I would find this task impossible.

Words seem of little gratitude for the time dedication and effort my needs have taken and I have on some occasion been embarrassed by the level of my need, nothing is more giving that that of your time and love for this sometimes thankless expected task that a career would have been far easier responsive to praise and more fulfilling.

My wife has devoted all her energy to supporting our family with limited recognition and infers the notion that everyone would do this if they had too and what choice does she have. It can be upsetting asking others to do the simplest of things for you as and when required, I have always said I could not do her job with the same tenacity giving and at times continual repetition.

With all the love I have to offer I thank her for her time and serene skills, I would ask how she knew all these things and she would say I just get on with it. I have been luck to have my own angel and sought every day to be appreciative and vocal in my acceptance of her gifts.

To the special people I thank them.

• Im just reading this post for the first time,
    Bless you and your family
  • ....for posting such a moving story of love and gratitude! Words fail to express my deepest admiration of your incredible wife! Fellow-nursey hugz!!!!! :)
    Our world is full of unsung heroes/heroines, (including most of the folks here, by virtue of their choice to "carry on" through pain and adversity;) and it's heartwarming to read accolades about them.
    May you and your family continue under the protection of your guardian angels. It's been awhile since this happened, but I'm sure she'd appreciate knowing that another nurse is still happy-dancing over what she's done!

• Ron,

How is Miss Pat doing these days? Please let her know we are thinking about her and wish her well.