Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal fusion 3 month check

I'm hoping someone has an answer to my query, as I really don't wish to call my doctor unless there is cause.

I had a lumbar spine fusion and laminectomy three months ago. I have been doing great up until about two days ago. Now I go to bed in pain I wake up in pain I can barely walk and getting up and down from A chair has become very difficult. I have not had these issues in the last 6 to 8 weeks.

Is this a standard symptom for three months out? I had to use the bathroom last night around 5 AM and getting out of bed took me a good five minutes. I was so sore and hurt. This has not occurred since my two week check up.

What i'd like to know is if anyone else out there has had this occur or if I should call my doctor Monday morning and get an appointment , before my standard check up on 6 January. Just lifting my legs when I'm in my recliner and putting them back down since little pains up my spine. I'm not sure if it's muscle or back. Having never had this done before, I'm beginning to wonder if my screws and bolts are OK !

Please reply, I would like to hear from you. Thank you
Julie Love

• Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 483
    They may not be able to get you in sooner, and/or they may recommend you try something else. But if I was that uncomfortable, and in pain, I would let them know.

Are you still on pain meds? Are you still wearing your back brace?

At 8 months post op from laminectomy, and L4-5 fusion, I'm still uncomfortable using a recliner...it's the getting back from reclining that causes most of the discomfort, so I don't recline a lot or for too long....just sometimes I'm too uncomfortable to sit period. Before 3 months post op I tried reclining, with back brace still on because that was my Dr's orders, but I wasn't able to recline, especially by myself....couldn't even lean to side to release recliner lever, and could barely move to push back down...so I avoided using until just recently....now reclining does take some of that pressure off my back and sacrum/tailbone area.

• Thanks for your story. I've been song great. Many times I'd hop into bed forgetting that I need to roll in still. This pain came on suddenly. No problem with my recliner. It's not a rocker and I just need to push the arms in it gently slides out where I want it to be. It's been my lifesaver. Otherwise I'd be lying in bed! We own our own business so I head to the office everyday and get about 6 hours before I've had enough. I stop at the park on my way home, get my 30 minute walk done and then home for a pain pill, a muscle relaxer and my recliner! I'm still in BLTS, which stinks as I can't even load the dishwasher! I'm an active person, so this surgery has been a bummer as far as my "extra curricular " activities such as quilting, quilting and quilting. I do have a funny for you! At my last quilt grouper were all talking about our backs. Come to find out, we're seeing the same Doctor! 4 out 6 are suffering back issues. We need to have a chat with our Doctor! You know, maybe a BOGO, or discounts for group appts. We''be even considered having hm join our group so he can invent a cure for Quilter's back! Lol.

I'm still throbbing, but I spoke at length with the phone nurse and if they want me in, I'm sure they'll call. They're very good about that. Always calling me on my progress.
    Julie Love