Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Suboxone film starting dose for pain?

I am on 600 mg Lyrica (yes max dose), 50 mg Amitryptaline, 200 mg tegretol, 5 mg valium, 10 mg baclofen, 1 g Chlorzoxazone, and kratom and phenibut when I want to take it. My pain is still not being helped much, even with all these meds. I was an addict and have been sober 8 years, but have been mixing my phenibut and valium to feel good 2-3 times a week. The dr is seeing this as addictive behavior and doesnt want me to relapse. So, he wants me to stop the valium, baclofen, kratom, and phenibut and replace it with Suboxone.

I am opiate naive and have never really gotten high on opiates before - I have no tolerance to them. He prescribed me 2 mg, 3 times per day. Now, I know this is wayyyy to high of a dose for an opiate naive person. What is a good starting dose for pain?
John Calderaio

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    It sounds very good that you communicate honestly with your doctor!
    And he seems to be listening to do what is best for you as an entire person. That's huge!

With your concern about the dosage, I would bring that to my doctor's attention and let him explain and or reexplain, so you are both on the same page.

Using the search on this site re pain medication may lead you to information that will help you with your questions for your doctor.

No two people are the same, so it so good doctor is looking at you as an individual.
    And even the same person can take a med without a problem, be off it for a time, for whatever reason, and then when they resume med, it's possible to have unpleasant reactions.

May I add, congratulations on your sobriety!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• that prescribed it. Suboxone is used to treat addiction , much like methadone, and it has a ceiling effect as a pain reliever, meaning that higher doses will not offer more/better pain relief.
    It is really unusual for a physician to prescribe suboxone in someone who is not currently on opiates, and the dosage may be too high, so if I were you, I would double check the dosage before starting it.