Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

going to start exercising. iare these good goals? your opinion please

Have been avoiding this since it is a domino effect. However, after reading many articles and members posts I think I should start.

I am thinking of starting the yoga stretches. I know I won't be able to do them well, or correct, or maybe at all at first.

I am thinking maybe just doing what I can and stop stretching once it first hurts. And then gradually building up.

Is there any stretches that are basic that I totally should avoid, or is anything good as long as I am moving? In other words, I know not to do a full sit up or a full chin down. Is there anything else I should never do?

And what is a good time to start with? Is 5 mins ok to start and then gradually build up? Or start with 15 minutes and tough it out?
Crack, pop, oww, grunt,pop...I'm ok :)

• only a doctor or a physical therapist can help you make that decision. I started out with p/t, went to a pain clinic many moons ago. They showed me what exercises to do. They had a pool and I had a pool membership so they showed me what to do in the pool. I think that for like six months. Then I went back to see how things were going and then added more. Went back once or twice a year for awhile... Now I do water arthritis, water aerobics and a few classes on land.
  • I feel silly. I found a very good video on the internet after asking this question. It was yoga for disabled people. The video says only do what you can do for as long as you can do it and don't do anything that hurts. So I tried it all as best as I could and found out which ones to avoid and which ones to practice. Feel silly and broken. Could hardly do any of it, what I could do was nothing like the guy was doing, and I discovered how bad I let myself get by not doing it sooner.

I will try these 1x a day until it is established routine and build up. Hopefully I end up more flexible. So far I am only swelling a little. Mostly the hips from the crossing the legs
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    I'm at a loss right now re your spinal issue and or if you had surgery.
    I never a candidate for surgery, but with my spinal issues, I can't remember when I last crossed my legs, as that definately throws me out of alignment and causes me pain and other symptoms.

Does your doctor know about your swelling? Just a thought.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    Along with Savage said, I have no idea what your medical condition is, is it spinal, have you had surgery, etc???

For any of the above, before starting any type of exercise program, you must discuss it with your doctor and/or physical therapist to get their input.
    Yoga is a good exercise program, but there are specific types of yoga for spinal patients. Many of the standard yoga poses/moves/stances can be harmful for spinal patients.

Lastly, I would not hold much weight on items advertised on the internet. Similar to the TV's info commercials, they can make anything said its the best thing in the world.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Liz53Liz53 MissouriPosts: 142
    I have spent the last 2. 1/2 years trying all kinds of therapy to recover from my microdiscetomy. After working with physical therapy they recommended I try yoga. I went what I thought was a safe route and hired a personal trainer and was very cautious about my back but now I find that I have increased leg pain and my new MRI shows that my L4 nerve root is compromised AGAIN! I see the neurosurgeon tomorrow and don't know what the next step is. Even when you are cautious and follow recommended therapy plans it seems things can go wrong. Be careful with any new excerise plan. Walking seemed to be best for me!
  • These aren't good either ... The yoga stretches. Some are but most aren't. Too much swelling. And I'm pretty much undiagnosed. Can't get into doc until after Jan 5th. Found a free clinic for the uninsured. But have to apply and see what they will help with. I'm sure not much for probono but hey something is something
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.