Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 days post op ACDF with plating

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had my ACDF with plating at C6-7 on the 16th. I am disappointed I didn't get "instant" relief of the left hand and arm tingling that so many here seem to have. The pain is better though. I had an ACDF at C5-6 11 years ago with instant relief of pain,etc so of course I am worried now. I also have a pronounced left eyelid droop - has anyone here had this post-op? My voice also sounds like Minnie Mouse - I wonder how long that will last. Thanks for letting me share.

• I have had most of my pain and numbness and tingling go away since the surgery but this week I've had a little flair up, not sure if I might have over done it. I had my surgery 10 days ago now.

As far as my voice, it comes and goes still as well. I was wondering the same thing...is this normal? I'm also looking at the incision site and it looks like pretty thick scar tissue. Anyone else have that as well?

• It sometimes takes a while for the numbness and tingling to go away. Your nerves were probably compressed for a while, and even though your surgery probably successfully decompressed them, it will take a while for them to heal. Nerves are angry little things and don't like to be moved around!

jjazz and Jeff, the voice thing is normal. My children were thrilled after my first ACDF because I couldn't "yell" at them. It would frustrate me to the point that I would cry because when I tried to discipline them, my scolding would get a laughing response. The kids had great fun teasing me about my weak voice. It took a long time, and even longer for me to be able to sing again. But eventually my voice came back as strong as ever.

Jeff, the incision is probably swollen. After this surgery, I looked almost like I had two "lips" on my throat, there was a ton of swelling. It has since gone down and it is just a smooth line of red. This will eventually fade and be barely noticeable.

I hope this helps to reassure you both.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Google "horner's syndrome". The reason I know about this is that I have thyroid cancer. Dave and I are going to have twin scars. But, he probably won't be obsessed with his like I was. Anyway, this stems from some sort of nerve damage in the neck. I think it goes away in time, but you can read more about it. Thyroid cancer patients have vocal chord involvement, too. There are things they can do to "fix" them. Yours are in "shock" and will come back in time. I couldn't yell for a couple of weeks---a squeak would come out.

Linda MI
  • Cindy, I'm glad you responded. I was half tempted to go to the emergency room because of the voice thing. I'm just glad there are people out there like you that can help use "newbies" along.
  • It could take months before your voice feels real strong again. Or it could just be a few days. but if you are concerned, please don't let my opinion stop you from calling your doctor. I'll be glad to offer support and encouragement any time you need it, but make sure you always inform your doctor of what is going on, okay?

how are you feeling other than the voice thing? I hope the recovery is getting easier for you day by day.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Glad to hear the voice thing is pretty normal - I will be relieved when my body gets back to normal. It's nice to know I'm not alone in this.
  • My surgeons office told me my voice should eventually be okay. The office didn't have anything to say about the eyelid droop I have (it is getting better). I was also experiencing some shortness of breath and coughing since Saturday so ended up having a CT scan to rule out blood clots in the lungs which thankfully was negative. The scan did show some congestion in the lung so I was told to deep breathe. What a day! The positive part is that the numbess in my hand/arm is getting better!! Ah, recovery - what can I say. One day at a time. I still sound exactly like Minnie Mouse!
This discussion has been closed.