Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello new here. Just had surgery

My Microdiscetomy l4-l5
Hello all,

My name is Matt and I recieved an l4-l5 microdiscetomy on December 22nd 2015.

Let's go back to about me:

I am a healthy 27 year old male. I have been a restaurant manager the last 5 years so I am always standing and moving on my feet all day. I hurt my back about 2 years ago in the gym and have had pain and many other problems the last 2 years.

I went to many chiropractic and PT places over the last two years and just couldn't seem to get better. After two years all my coworkers know me as a humped over crooked man ( my body had gotten so used to the pain that I always walked crooked and everyone even guests could tell).
My pain level was not that high because my body made up for the pain by being so crooked.

All my PT's and Chiropractic doctors kept saying they could fix me over the last two years and I believed them since I was scared of surgery. I could barely do the excercises so I pretty much stopped doing them the last 6 months before now. My days were spent pain at work and bed rest with no social life on my days off. Once home from work I was bed bound and could barely get up. I had lost my life to this condition.

I finally decided to bite the bullet and get surgery which was 5 days ago. I have read so many reviews and updates about people on this site. Just thought I would share my experience as well.

First few days after surgery I was in a lot of pain and a lot of sleep and bed rest. After 3 days I stopped taking the oxi and I am in no severe pain. I haven't taken any drugs in two days now. I can get up and walk upright for the first time in years which feels great!

I have read a lot of people walk a few times a day as much as they can? At day 5, I can walk for a good twenty minutes with no pain ( but some exhaustion) which puts me back in bed for an hour . I feel like I feel too good to be true??? Should I be taking it more easy? I am not doing any lifting bending or twisting just walking. But my results feel more like a dream then what I ever thought I would experience after surgery.

Any support or feedback would be awesome!

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hi Matt,

Your life sounds pretty much like mine except i wasnt able to work and eventually got sacked by my employer. I may have missed it but not sure what surgery you have had. I had a spinal fusion in 2014 but something went wrong & have been suffering with severe nerve pain and damage.

Like you have mentioned your social life is non existent and not sure if this has happened to you but you feel like people just glass over when you do see people and they ask how you are. I have had so many procedures now that friends seem to think its like going to have an immunisation or something.

Anyway back to you sorry I was waffling! It sounds so positive and I will keep everything crossed for you that this surgery may well have worked wonders and you will be a social butterfly before you know it but I will just share some tips that were given to me and that I found useful.

It takes your body a while to heal from surgeries and sometimes things can be masked. It is brilliant that you are managing all that walking and no doubt is a highlight of your day (if you hear one more person say "wow id love to just be in bed all day"). The idea though is to treat it like a marathon not a sprint. It is far better to do exercise in small bursts rather than overdoing it and then putting yourself in agony for days after. I honestly know its hard because you just want to get your life back but our bodies need to build themselves back up and Rome wasn't built in a day..

Take your guidance from the physios. They are the experts for rehab and should be able to guide you on how much exercise is acceptable.

The only other advice id give is trust your instincts. You know your body and you know when something isn't right so don't let any professionals tell you it might be in your head. I can't tell you what a downward spiral that can cause so find someone to talk to or even just write feelings down. It is always better to get it out then hold it in & get to breaking point.

You seem like a positive person and I hope you continue to make great improvements so you can start to live again not simply exist.

Stay strong.

• Thank you for the words of wisdom!

I just had a microdiscetomy for my l4-l5. First surgery ever.... So it wasn't a fusion. My body seems to be healing fast but I do know to keep it easy and don't over do it! Hoping to return to work in 4 weeks.

I have had 0 leg pain since surgery 6 days ago!