Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Paralysis-Bulging Disc

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I've had alot of pain from my neck all the way down my spine for some time. One night I got a sharp pain in my arm like someone hit me. I got out of bed and became paralysed on one side. Luckily I fell against the wall instead of the floor. After about a minute, I was able to push myself up and I was able to function normally. Has anyone had that problem before? I had an MRI and was told I have multiple bulging discs. My doctor gave me some anti-inflamatory and muscle relaxant medication and gave me an appt with a physical therapist. From everything I read, you aren't suppose to take anti-inflamatory medication for a long period of time. But, I'm tired of hurting and want to coninue taking it as long as it helps. I'm not able to sleep on a pillow because it hurts my neck and when I lie flat it hurts. Anyway, I'm really concerned about the paralysis and worry it will happen again. My doctor doesn't seem to want to talk about that too much. I was just wondering if anyone else had a problem with temporary paralaysis? Thanks for listening.

• teenie08,

well i am with you on whole spine being in pain but i have never had the paralysis you are having, well not yet anyway. have you went to the neurologist or neurosurgeon yet? i have been taking plaquenil for well over a year and plan to keep taking it as long as my body will let me becuase i have RA with DDD and DJD and a lot of other stuff too. i dont see why you cant continue taking the anti-inflammatory that you take too? you need to go see a dr and get some tests run to see what happen to you for sure! hope you get better soon!

all the best,

• :) hi! i see this is your first post and i wanted to welcome you to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. perhaps you need a second opinion. having a doctor you can talk to and will answer your questions is so important to your treatment. good luck and please keep us posted as you move through recovery. Jenny :)
  • Hi,
    Thanks for responding. I have an appt with a physical therapist on Wednesday, so I hope to get information from them too. I'll probably keep on with the Celebrex and Soma since it's helping me. Maybe it's just hard to resign myself to the fact that I'll probably have to take this medication the rest of my life. Funny how the body breaks down as you get older. I hope your medication keeps working for you. Have a good week!
    Thanks again!
  • I have an appt with a physical therapist on Wednesday (tomorrow) and will see what they have to say. I don't have another appt with my regular doctor for 3 weeks, but I think I will call and tell him I'd like to se a neurologist to see if I should expect something like this again or what. It really weighs on my mind thinking that it could happen at work! It's just nuts to have to fight to get yourself taken care of. Thank you for responding to me, I will get an opinion from a neurologist. Knowing is so much more reassuring than not having a clue. Have a good day!
    Thanks again!
  • Hi,
    I went to the P.T. on Friday. From her I found out that I have bulging disk problems at C4,5,6 & 7. She took my history and said she didn't want to do any P.T. on me until I had a thoractic CT or MRI (I'm not sure which). So, she was going to tell my doctor. I haven't heard from him yet, so I'm afraid he's going to resent a P.T. telling him what he should be doing. I'm not really sure what to expect. The P.T. told me my C3 was ok, but she wants to make sure C1 & C2 are ok. That really scares me. I guess I'll wait a couple more days and then press the doctor to send me to a neurololgist. Meanwhile, it really seems to be hurting more. The anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxants are working but not all that well. I find myself wanting to take the anti-inflammatory just because I'm thinking it will prevent another paralysis episode. I don't know if that's true but that's what I'm thinking. Oh well, we'll see. I am greatful that I got a P.T. who takes her job seriously. I also have some problems in my T's, but I haven't figured that out yet. Anyway, thanks for listening.
  • If you're concerned that your current doctor would be bothered by comments from a PT then you should run in the other direction. Not that a PT would know more or whatever, but just that any doctor should be more concerned about his patients than what another professional says and how that effects him. Please go see a neurosurgeon or orthopedic specializing in spines and get some help.

Reading your first post, I was horrified to see "My doctor doesn't seem to want to talk about that too much..." in reference to your paralysis incident. Please find another doctor! :)
  • welcome to SH. Have you tried rolling up a towel and placing it under your neck when you lay down? It works well for me as I too occasionaly have neck problems. I will bet that the doc does not talk about the paralysis because they do not have a clue. You really need to see a new doc and get to the bottom of that before it happens at a time when you could really injure yourself or someone else. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.
  • BTW- the neck pillows work really well also. They look like a horseshoe. They are better at staying around your neck when you sleep.
  • Thank you. I think I will go out for a neck pillow today and see if it works for me. I have an appt with a Neurologist tomorrow (Monday). Kinda scared. Wanna get answers but still afraid to hear them.