Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

RN

I began a SCS trial yesterday. I want to give it time to evaluate; however, before I even left the outpatient unit, I told them the stimulation was not being felt on my lower back at all. My pain is mainly in my lower back and does intermittently go down both legs. I now am feeling the stimulation down my left leg and in my Peri area which feels numb. I don't feel like I can make a decision in having a permanent stimulator placed since the trial is not providing stimulation to my lower back. Anyone else had thia problem? Have any suggestions?
Thanks!
Stacey Lupus
advertisement

Comments

• Had a lumbar trial in October 2015. The doctor "tickled " a nerve or maybe my spinal cord. I'll never really know. They like to minimize that. Anyway,I had new serious nerve pain in the bottom of my foot (couldn't stand any touch & had to walk on the ball of foot ). The burning,electric shock pain was also in the back of my entire leg. We had a very hard time getting any relief in my right side. I couldn't tolerate the vibration,so the BS tech created several programs including a "no feel" program.
    It took 5 days to recover from the trial insertion and my nerves being scraped. I asked for 2 extra trial days. I noticed an improvement in activity but I didn't feel I had 50% relief. I was elated to have more activity even though the pain relief wasn't that great.
    I absolutely felt severe pain directly above the end of the stimulator range for lumbar.
    I'm a hot mess, I must have both lumbar and cervical SCSs implanted if they are successful. But the trials are separate. What? (I understand but it feels very strange ).
    Before removing the trial leads, the doctor x-rayed and found the right leads turned to the left side, like the hands on a clock.
    The entire trial I had no or little lead on the right and 2 leads on the left. Maybe I can tolerate the pulse if the leads had been placed properly.
    At a later appointment, my doctor asked if I wanted to redo the trial but he doubted Boston Scientific would redo the trial without charge. Nice.
    I still have the cervical trial. I decided it's best to see how I tolerate that trial. I will have to remind the doctors that it's paramount they get the leads in tge right place and do not graze my spinal cord in the process. Hello, I'm thinking about finding a new pain management doctor.
    This is just my experience. Not the miracle relief I expected. As usual way more pain involved in the insertion process; I was not warned.
    removal of the leads had no pain at all. The only sensation I had was that feeling of relief once experiences after scratching a bad itch. Strange.
    Have the best day you can.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,941
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,941
    I'm curious if you could explain a little on how you felt elated being able to have more activity level, even though the pain relief wasn't great?
    I'm just trying to imagine what may have been relieved to allow for better activity.
    Even without my understanding how it worked....it's good to hear you had success with increase activity!

You may find it useful to use the search on this site, upper right on page.
    Type in any concern, ex.. SCS...and you may be led to older or current posts, articles and or videos.

Please keep us posted on how you're doing!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I remember during my trial period not having the percentage of relief I thought I was going to get. My problem is very different than most, I have nerve damage in my back and left side from having a thoracotomy and 3 chest tubes. I remember having a lot of discomfort in my back, more so than relief and I was more comfortable when moving around. I chose to go through with it because I did not have any other options. I was glad I did, as the permanent one I have much more relief and no more discomfort like the trial. I am not 100% pain free but I am able to move around so much better than before. Everyone will feel different, hopefully you figure out whats best for you. Good luck!
  • staceyl said:
    I began a SCS trial yesterday. I want to give it time to evaluate; however, before I even left the outpatient unit, I told them the stimulation was not being felt on my lower back at all. My pain is mainly in my lower back and does intermittently go down both legs. I now am feeling the stimulation down my left leg and in my Peri area which feels numb. I don't feel like I can make a decision in having a permanent stimulator placed since the trial is not providing stimulation to my lower back. Anyone else had thia problem? Have any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Hi Staceyl, I just had my Trial implant done this past Friday (1/8/16) and have it reluctantly taken out this coming Friday. I have pain from the top of my feet up to the middle back. The St. Jude's Trial (Ipod remote) SCS had been programmed and hits everywhere but my middle back. It hits the belly button or so. I've stenosis, and chronic lower back pain. Already had L3-L5,S1-S2 laminectomy, in which the pain had come back after several months.
    Have they reprogrammed it yet to get it to work better for you? I'm very happy with my trial outside of any movement on my part could stop the buzzing. I'm aware that the real implant, and getting paddles, should keep it pretty still.
    If this didn't work, I'd be looking at the pain pump next.

For anyone considering an SCS, and if hadn't already tried a Tens, I'd try one just so that you have an idea on what to expect (physical therapy place should have them). I've been living with my Tens 24/7. Nice not having wires, or redoing probes, etc... I have to go back to my Tens after this week until I get the real implant.
    Good luck!
    IMaBird @ jacksbanana.com
  • spineStoleMyLife said:
    Had a lumbar trial in October 2015. The doctor "tickled " a nerve or maybe my spinal cord. I'll never really know. They like to minimize that. Anyway,I had new serious nerve pain in the bottom of my foot (couldn't stand any touch & had to walk on the ball of foot ). The burning,electric shock pain was also in the back of my entire leg. We had a very hard time getting any relief in my right side. I couldn't tolerate the vibration,so the BS tech created several programs including a "no feel" program.
    It took 5 days to recover from the trial insertion and my nerves being scraped. I asked for 2 extra trial days. I noticed an improvement in activity but I didn't feel I had 50% relief. I was elated to have more activity even though the pain relief wasn't that great.
    I absolutely felt severe pain directly above the end of the stimulator range for lumbar.
    I'm a hot mess, I must have both lumbar and cervical SCSs implanted if they are successful. But the trials are separate. What? (I understand but it feels very strange ).
    Before removing the trial leads, the doctor x-rayed and found the right leads turned to the left side, like the hands on a clock.
    The entire trial I had no or little lead on the right and 2 leads on the left. Maybe I can tolerate the pulse if the leads had been placed properly.
    At a later appointment, my doctor asked if I wanted to redo the trial but he doubted Boston Scientific would redo the trial without charge. Nice.
    I still have the cervical trial. I decided it's best to see how I tolerate that trial. I will have to remind the doctors that it's paramount they get the leads in tge right place and do not graze my spinal cord in the process. Hello, I'm thinking about finding a new pain management doctor.
    This is just my experience. Not the miracle relief I expected. As usual way more pain involved in the insertion process; I was not warned.
    removal of the leads had no pain at all. The only sensation I had was that feeling of relief once experiences after scratching a bad itch. Strange.

Hi
    I would like to know a little more about your foot pain. I had spinal surgery around the spinal cord at T12-L1 and I woke up with severe burning pain in the sole of my left foot. The doctor did not offer any explanation at all. The best I got from the PA was that it was due to the compression in the cord prior to surgery and that the surgery relieved it causing this pain. I did NOT have the burning pain prior to surgery and her explanation was BS and a sorry attempt to cover for a cowardly doctor to afraid to admit any issues during surgery. He said he never had contacted or retracted the cord despite doing a laminectomy and interbody fusion from the posterior approach. I learned afterwards that this approach was not optimal for lower thoracic herniation and it should of been. A side approach.

So was your pain burning in nature? Did it go away? I also have the same burning feeling in the back of my calves. The pain is worse on the left side for me. It's always there even though I'm 6 'months post op. Any suggestions or experiences is appreciated.

Thanks
    Jerry
  • darby01darby01 Posts: 191
    edited 01/20/2016 - 4:37 PM
    Ive had my permanent for four months and my pain level is between 5 and 6 instead of 10. My paddles moved a bit after the surgery and my pain management Doc and Medtronic rep both say that if I have another surgery to put the leads in a better position and secure them a little better that I'll have more relief.
    Ryan
  • New here and can't find the "New Discussion" Tab to start my topic, so this is repetitive in a few discussions until then, but...my thoughts on the SCS devices are incredibly bad if you read on............. 

I went for the outpatient trial of the subject device in this
    discussion board and suffered complete paralysis within 1 hour (trying to get
    relief from a pinched nerve). The wire lead at the T8 area somehow created a
    blood leak (epidural hematoma) that traveled from the T5 and pooled around the
    L3. After all the emergency issues that follow such a problem, I now have some
    feeling after 4 weeks and trying to learn how to walk using a walker with extreme difficulty with lots of help and do other things completely
    foreign to my body. What will return for body functions or even walking for me is unknown.

My DR had a 25 year perfect record of no issues with the Medtronic trial stimulator.

Has anyone heard of this problem and possible errors of the leads
    in a simulator trial? My wife and I have searched and cannot find a like
    problem. Would like to know of others is possible.

advertisement