Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How on earth will I cope with college?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Depression and Coping
I was already a depression sufferer, even before my spinal fusion for scoliosis and put on Sertraline (anxiety based anti d) which helps a lot. But...

I'm just scared about starting college in September, how will I cope? With my anxiety and sleeping problems not to mention the ammount of pain I am constantly in damnit (sorry)!

Lets just say I'll need loads of support and pain relief too.

Any suggestions?

Lyss xx

• sweetie , you will get a ton of support and understanding from the amazing members here. If there is ever anything that I can do to help you then please just let me know. Please keep us posted as to how you are doing and take care....Miki
  • I will let you all know how I am doing,

thanks so much for your support,

Lyssie xx
  • Miki is right, we're here for you. When the going gets tough, the spiney's get going!
    Seriously, give it a shot. You have a serious chance at making your life better with an education than without one, especially with health issues. You're going to have to depend on your incredible mind to get you through life and you have to take care of it now. Learning is an incredible thing and should be taken for what it is- opprotunity!

We're here....go for it!

• I was injured 3 weeks into my freshman year, had three surgeries during school and still managed to graduate in 4 years. You are going to have tough times where all you want to do is quit but you can make it. Keep taking the antidepressants and see your doctor regularly so you don't get too down. I saw a student psychologist every week which really helped me vent so I could stay on-track and I would highly recommend it.

PM me if you want to talk specifically about what I did to survive the school year or just to talk to another young pain sufferer.

• My university had a disabled department that could give you some assistance on the specific needs that you have, they were fantastic in catering to my spefic needs, changed the location for some sessions to the ground floor for the whole class and gave me more time consideration and a parking space.

I amalgamated some of the classes on the same day or specific days that helped with the travelling, it is understandable then you are tentative going into a new environment and making new friends who may be unfamiliar to your needs or requirements and that is part of the learning process for everyone. I probably had the same trepidation as you but these big establishments are well versed at dealing with the spectrum of individuals needs.

Well done you, this is a fantastic opportunity that your existing skills will adapt and anyone who continues to live in pain should have no fear of this change and time will help.

As has been said you will need to be more attentive to your needs as the pace increases take a deep breath and use your unique skills to move forward.

Good luck John

• Ime right there with ya. I took a class each summer semester just to keep up with the class mates. I have one class for an hour and a half 4 days a week.ime down to wereing my back brace every day now,and ive a nice lab teacher,so i get to lay down for a while on the floor!
    woo hoo,
    well you have to want it
    you have to know that you can turn the anger to energy!
    its easy to be angry when the monkeys on your back,turn it around, when the beast is pushing you down,and you want to give a little?...

you will stand and be defiant as the pain grows worse
    and more determined as you feel worse
    the tear jerking, tooth breaking grind you hear about...
    you will do!

turn the all negative energy you carry
    the anger you carry
    into a productive force to be reckond with.
    its called courage

and you will learn to love it
    it will carry you when you have tears in your eyes
    it will warm you when your world has grown cold
    it will give you strength when you need it
    and all YOU have to do...
    is reach down inside and pull

It will give you a gift of determination
    you cant have one without the other

you will always have it when you need it
    even as life trys to grind you to the ground
    it will never leave you.
    all you have to do is reach
    and you will find it reaching back!

your gonna be fine!
    you have to find that belief in yourself
    turn all the negative thoughts
    I cant
    its too hard
    i cant do this...

look at yourself inside
    and see the beautiful person you are
    all the potential
    all the fire
    all the strength
    and believe!

I CAN
    say it...
    I CAN
    come on you didnt say it
    thats a girl!
    now go forth and conquer!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Alyssa, I can completely understand where you're coming from. I, too, am making my way into the world of Academia, and am long time sufferer of back pain. In my case, however, the return to school was in the form of graduate studies, and the circumstances are a bit different then they were once upon a time (ie married and with kids now). Plus, being in the military, there's a subtle (or not so sublte) undercurrent the demands instant healing, or else. Sadly, move of the folks here understand that resolving medical issues, particlarly those spine related, can often take time. In the interim, I made it through my first 4 weeks of school, and while: 1) my focus certainly isn't what I'd consider optimal and 2) there are days I seem to live hour to hour, when push comes to shove there's always a way to make it through (or at least that's what I keep telling myself...LOL!). Keep that head up, you'll do FINE!!!

• You must stop,turn and face them. there is no distance you can run from doubt,fear or pain.It is all in your hart to give up and give in. SAD no? that your own worst enemy is your own mind,and some of the lies it will tell you,
    That you cant
    or that you are not capable.

or that you will not be up to the fight.

But I think you are going to turn and face the doubts an fears bravely,and with honesty
    You can make your body do what the mind tells it
    what makes you is your mind
    every thing you are, every thing you do, is dictated by the mind.
    you will either learn to master your body,
    or it will dictate everything,there will be no life,all will be as ashes and dust.

if yo do not understand it now,someday you will

fear is a construct of the mind,it has its place
    but in your life ,to live in fear, is to not fully live.

Decide early and act decisively on how you want your life to be
    there is no shame in fear
    there is no shame in tears
    there is no shame when you give you very best
    and you fail
    there is only shame in not having tried at all.
    I hope you gather your courage and hold it close to your breast,let it warm and give comfort on the long day
    look back at the day, through night and wearied eyes
    and be content with your honor and dignity intact
    because in your heart of hearts
    you gave your utmost
    your very best.
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Hey there, I'm really sorry about your situation. I'm actually in the same situation. I suffered so much last semester that had to drop two classes, so now I am going to graduate a semester late. I'm involved with the Student Disability Services at my school and they have been really helpful. I wish you the best of luck, it'll be alright!
  • i worry for ya, dont let the beast devour your dreams one great gulp at a time, you deserve more than this lot in life! your gonna be fine! you have the spirit of a warrior in you, youve gone this long and perseveired,dont give in just yet K? we all can be the emotional lifeboat we need in these times. I deal with pain in a emotionally traumatizing manner, i man it out,even when i dont want to, its my nature and its a destructive habit, it put me here, dont be afraid of reaching out, come and find us,and well all help each other out K?
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Hi Ranchhand

It is interesting that you say you man is out and poignant to accept this as a less than preferable strategy and very honest. It is within our masculinity to stand and fight and time and experience ascribes better ways of dealing with the whole emphasis of the pain, in my newbie days I may have innocently thought I could battle through and meet it head on and defeat it. Cunning has been another strategy to sneak up on the pain and subdue its effect in a more collective manner.

However forthright or aggressive our strategy it needs gentle implementation and the change one thing at a time has helped, a bit of a toe in the water, and retraction if it did not work. For the improvement of everyone I am sure many others are using that head on approach that is as you say less than preferable. Asking and receiving help is strength and not a weakness, in our healthy persona perhaps we could mange this way and the reason why we cannot with pain is just as complicated.

I worked towards and passed my known threshold and did this continually in the thought that this was an effective strategy, is was not, it made the pain far worse than it needed to be and me grumpy with it. That short term gain was long term pain and I did learn a better way over time. I did it that way because I thought it was right at the time, I can look back and smile now seeing how I got myself into that cycle of managed behaviour and ineffectual position.

Our strategies develop over time as in chapters, perhaps we are not ready for the next one until we have exhausted the final stupidity of the last one, I can laugh now but was not laughing then.

Take care, how complex we all are. John