Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Heres one for the books

Let me start this by saying I have been taking Diclophenac for joint pain for 11 years and it has worked well. It also almost killed me. I developed ulcers from it that caused a stomach blockage. Little did I know this was happening. On Sept 9th, I had a total hip replacement done and came home from the hospital 2 days later. I never felt right, loss of appetite, stomach ache, etc.. In early October, I couldn't eat. Basically, I'd try to eat, and the next day I'd throw it up. I figured I had a stomach bug. What I had was a combination of things, the ulcers as I said earlier, and a nasty infection called "C Diff" which the doctors figured I picked up in the hospital during my hip surgery. Towards the end of October, I wasn't eating or drinking enough to keep a person alive. My doctor sent me for a stomach scope. When I woke from the scope, the doctor and my son were standing there and the doctor said I was going to the hospital to be admitted. I had a blockage in the tube that all food passes through to the small intestines.. The plan was to do these stomach scopes, removing what was blocking it. If they couldn't unblock it, I'd be sent to a Boston hospital for surgery. After three more scopes, still no success. Than it happened, my stomach ruptured. Thank God it happened in recovery after the last scope. So I was rushed into surgery, had a tube put into my stomach and a feeding tube put into my small intestines, and a tube down my nose. Talk about pain. My stomach was on fire along with my back because I had to remain on my back, eventually for 5 weeks.

I am home now, the tubes were recently taken out, and I am eating solid, bland food after being on a feeding tube for 7 weeks. Diclophenac is a thing of the past for me and has been replaced by Percocet, at least until the doctors can figure out what will help with the joint pain and not destroy my stomach again. My back pain is as bad as it was before my spinal fusion, all due to being immobilized for 5 weeks. Needless to say, my holidays sucked big time. If it weren't for my sons helping me, I'd surely be in a nursing home.

Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.


  • sandi123ssandi123 Posts: 456
    edited 01/01/2016 - 7:01 AM
    For the last 8 years, daily and my pm doctor finally took me off it, saying that I never should have been on it for that long.
    I'M sorry you went through all of that but am glad that you are slowly getting back on your feet.

Sign In or Register to comment.