Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back Pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Chronic Pain
Is there anyone out there like me? For over 30 years I have been told that nothing could be done for me, regarding my back pain. I recently went to the emergency room because I had shooting pain in my right leg and weakness. My left leg has been bad for several years, with weakness, dragging, pain all the way into my toes. After another MRI, I was again told that L1 through L5 are herniated, bulging, gone. I also have disks in my cervical that are herniated, etc. I have scoliosis. Again, was told that they are sorry but nothing can be done. My friends and family don't believe that nothing can be done for me and some have suggested pain management. Others have said, do not go to a pain management doctor, because you will turn into a drug addict. I have lived with this chronic pain for over 30 years and now need a cane, walker and wheelchair to ambulate. I am 49 years old. My family has had it with me. They think I am making the pain up. My husband is the only support I have and I am wearing him out. I have my first grandchild on the way and I am so depressed I cannnot get excited. I have tried all treatments. Steriod Shots, Chiropractors, physical therapy, drugs, massage, etc. I keep getting the same answer from numerous Orthopedic, Neurosugeons. Surgery for the stenosis is the only thing that has been suggested and that was this weekend. Has anyone else had to deal with this. Now I cannot work, walk, drive, or function as a human being. I use to ride motorcycles, fly planes, ride horses, photography, paint and now I cannot or do not want to do anything because I am consumed by pain 24/7. And then everyone wonders why I am depressed.

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. many of us here use pain management doctors. besides medication they can offer other conservative treatments. i have severe sciatica in my left leg and it is constant and very painful. i am bedridden many days because of the pain. you are not alone in that. many of us use pain medications to live our lives as "normal" as possible. we are not drug addicts but people who use medication to live. have you tried the patch or any other time released medication? they can be a lifesaver. the pump is another possibility. if surgery has been suggested make sure you get a second opinion. it can save you alot of grief. good luck and please keep us informed of your progress. i hope to see you around the forum. Jenny :)
  • I understand how you feel,i have been living with chronic back pain since 1993,i am not a canidate for surgury,i had a rhizotomy done in january that has help,i also have pain meds...
  • have the docs said that they do not want to operate because of the scoliosis? I know someone that went through the same exact thing. He could not have traditional open back surgery because of the scoliosis. However, my PM doc was able to do endoscopic and laser surgery on him because they work woth such tiny instruments through a small incision they can actually maneuver around the spine and do not have to cut through so much to get to the discs. Also, when chronic pain patients take narcotics for their pain they do not become addicts. People that become addicts are the ones that take the meds for the high and not the pain relief. There are tons of people right here that are on opiates (including myself) and it has greatly improved the quality of their life. If I can answer any questions for you please feel free to PM me and I will try and help. Good luck to you and please keep us posted on your progress.
  • I'm looking for advice on how to get out of bed in the morning. I've had a low back problem for seven years, and after reading a few of the posts here, I know I'm in the right place. This "not being able to get out of bed in the morning" is a new event. I am going to yet another physiotherapist in the morning and thought someone out there might have a trick up his/her sleeve for successfully getting out of bed. :)
  • welcome to SH jl. If you have trouble sitting up and then straightening up it is most likely your facet joints giving you the problem. Always do what they call a log roll when getting up out of a laying position. This means kepp your body stiff, roll to your side and walk yourself up to sitting position using your hands. If you swing your legs and try to get up it will do more damage. Sometimes I am in such bad shape that I have to roll on to my stomach, push myself to edge of bed, carefully let feet touch floor and walk myself up to a hunched over position with my hands. lots of times it takes me awhile to straighten up but when I do I take a very hot shower. Muscle relaxers taken the night before may also help. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
  • JL

Are you referring to having a difficult time physically or a difficult time psychologically as far as getting out of bed in the morning?

Many people have difficultly with both, but some only one or the other.

Sorry that you have had to suffer for 7 years.

This is a great place to meet other members and find out how they deal with day to day living. Welcome to Spine Health.

• I have a friend also that nothing can be done with. She is on massive meds. Uses her motor scooter even to mop her floor!! She is a fighter and will not give up.
    Now my inlaw had a horrible time with his back. at the age of 60 he had a 5 level fusion they were so bad. The surgery was 18 hrs and they did a 360 and he had sever osteoprosis.
    I am thinking mabye because of the scolosis??? Is that what all the drs told you?????

How bad are the disks herniated?? Do they have any compression the thecal sac (covering of the disk) or any compression on the spinal cord????

Sometimes just from research if they are just herniated and not interfering with the spinal cord etc. Most will not do surgery. That will not go for all drs.

If it means also traveling out of state to get some opinions I would do so if your able.

What about surgery for the stenosis. Is it something your going to consider????
    I over heard my ortho surgeon DX someone with stenosis and set them up for surgery on the spot.

Never give up hope hun. I totally understand hubby being the only support. At times I feel like the whole world is on my husband and one day he is going to cave in. But he has not. As he knows this is not my fault. Its all herditary. Plus a stupid injury that could of been avoided but I am a hyper one!!! Plus a little daring.

Keep up the fight. We are here to support you in anyway we can. It does help. Jump into chat sometimes. You learn alot and know that your not alone in this world of spine problems!!!!

Lots of hugs and prayers to you
    Terri ;) ;) ;)
This discussion has been closed.