Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4-L5 fusion numbness in left leg shooting pain down right leg

Jacie1272JJacie1272 Posts: 4
edited 01/04/2016 - 8:38 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I am 3 weeks recovering from a spinal fusion and am in a lot of pain still. I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issue. I can't sit, stand or lie down for more than a few minutes at a time without excruciating pain. I'm also experiencing pain in my left buttock like I feel a foreign object there. Maybe too much information. But I'm concerned I am not healing correctly. Thanks all
"Not all who wander are lost" ~ J. R. R Tolkien

• hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 719
    edited 01/04/2016 - 4:41 PM
    Everyone is different but still having nerve pain like you've described 3 weeks after fusion is quite common. The spinal nerves sometimes take weeks/months to calm down from having been compressed/irritated/inflamed for so long. In my case after fusion surgery #1 the nerve pain was gone immediately... however after my second fusion surgery is was 4 long months before the nerve pain finally went away. Ask your doctor for some kind of pain meds to help you get through this part of your recovery.
    Harry - 62 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • I am on gabapentin for nerve pain. In my case, this med is amazing and takes the edge off of the nerve pain. I can function.