Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Member, new patient

davidcddavidc Posts: 1
edited 01/05/2016 - 3:31 AM in New Member Introductions

So I found this site while doing the dreaded "self-research" of my symptoms and situation. Figured it won't hurt to post and hopefully gain advice and insight as things go forward. I like that this site seems very mature and supportive, here's hoping everyone can find relief.

I'm a 31 year old male, living in Korea as a foreign teacher. I am active, healthy weight and shape thanks to lots of muay thai and jiu jitsu (for MMA, for leisure, not competitive). I was recently diagnosed with a herniated disc in my L4 - L5, caused by bending into a laundry machine to pull out bed linen that had gotten sucked underneath the drum. Stupid way to get hurt, but there you have it.

I am currently on my 4th week of pain in my buttocks, legs, groin and small of my back. I visited one doctor who spoke little English (wasn't too helpful), who gave me anti-inflammatory meds and painkillers. Pain went away but after the medication ran out it came back. The doctor was dismissive after that, telling me to take a second dose and come back if the pain was too severe.

Unhappy with this, today I sought out an English speaking doctor who lives far away (1 hour commute). This doctor was far more helpful.

However, flip of the coin is that he had the opportunity to be, and was, very honest, saying that because I was suddenly getting pain flares after bowel movements, it was a bad sign that my herniation was pinching my nerves. He prescribed me similar medication as before and physical therapy every 2 days. If symptoms do not improve in 2 weeks, he said he will be sending me for an MRI.

So, that's the whole story to date. I don't mind admitting I'm very anxious about the prospect of what will happen next. Will I need surgery, what will happen, can I get it done here in Korea etc. I barely sleep because of a combination of worry and pain, to the point even my co-workers are commenting on my tired appearance.

My big fear is having to get surgery as I was always told that any spinal surgery is dangerous and unwise. But, given the new doctor's frank assessment, this seems highly possible. It's come to the point that even farting elicits pain flares, while the rest of the time there's a dull ache somewhere in my lower body. In fairness, since it first happened, the pain is less then it was, but the doctor's assessment leaves me increasingly worried.

So, if anyone any input, it's all welcome and appreciated. Hope we can all get better soon.

• israaiisraa Posts: 18
    edited 01/06/2016 - 12:57 AM
    Am sorry to hear that and I can give you a small advice about the pain you can put an ice bag on itand surgery isn't that bad I hope you won't need it but for the moment try to stay comfortable don't think about it alot because it will make it worse and thank you for sharing your story with us