Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal fusion L4L5 S1

JessBruzzaJJessBruzza Posts: 1
edited 01/07/2016 - 8:51 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi guys so I'm new to this forum so than you to anyone who takes the time out to reply to me.

So back in Feb 2012 after my second child (October 2011) is when my back issues started, it wasn't a gradual thing I just happened to collapse in agonizing pain in the lower back and could not walk after bending down to take a photo of my son, I was sent to hospital via ambulance and they put it down to torn muscle, no scans done at this stage which was [edit], just drugged me up and sent on my way the following day. 2 me weeks to recover. Throughout that year it happened a few more times, I saw my GP which was a [edit] and would not order any scans until it would "happen again" I got sick of him and saw another Gp in the clinic who staright away sent me for an MRI and CT scan. It's showed I had a pinched nerve, defers rice disc disease my mild case of that and a tear in the annulus I think it called. So he referred me to a Nuro..this guy looked at my scans and said it was to minor to do anything about it and to try Pilates, swimming, core work and to go from there. So in 2012 I fell pregnant with my 3rd and gave birth in March 2014. Let me say this was the worst pregnancy ever due to my back, I pretty much was on it for the 3rd trimester, it was horrible horrible and after having a natural birth with a failed epidural 2 times by a [edit] dr I was worse off the next day. I felt like a bad mum already as I couldn't walk to tend to my new born baby boy. Again drugged up to help.
In November 2015 I ended up yet again in the emergency department not walking and went through the public system. I was kept there for 3 days drugged up and my son who was still breast feeding had to move in with me and my sister in law had to stay in to help with him. So I decided to use my private health and opt for a 2nd opinion. I found a lovely man by the name of mr [edit] (Melbourne Aus) he was such a helpful and her well polite man, I spent well over an hour with him figuring out what he could do for me. So after failed Pilates, walking, swimming, Physio, he told me let try a nerve block and cortisone in the back. Did that 2 days later $800 later! I was worse off then ever! The pain was [edit] before and worse after. Had more scans done up to date ones and his gut told him the nerve was impinged and that a laminectomy should help. Not to mention the sciatica on my left was a [edit] ! So I did the op in February 2015 to give myself time to wean my almost one year old off the booby!
So after 3 months of that op it came back the pain.. :-( I was shattered so was he, we have done countless scans he referred me to another Nuro who does spinal fusions and I was out the door within a min as he said my scans were all minor and don't warrant this kind of op. I left heartbroken no answer, depressed that this was going to be my life, how can something minor cause me so much pain?!

Mr [edit] wasn't happy so referred me to the best there was in Melb to which he told me to have a bone nuclear scan, it showed my disc space was very very narrow, degenerated but again mild and that the only option due to failed attempts at many treatments would to do a spinal fusion to stabilize that area where he is certain all my pain comes from. He wants to help me I'm 32 on the 11th of jan 3 boys under 6 and a wife. I want a normal or somewhat normal life again. In the past 2 weeks I have been in bed yet again and have had a good think about doing this op. He is back on the 11th and I need to make the call to get this done. But I'm very scared, he's given me 70% chance of my pain settling better. So what is everyone's advice? What have you all done? How did you cope after your op?
I have a family vacation in April to Italy and I don't want to be taking my container of endless pain meds to get me by :-( it's now or next year for this op but I don't think I can wait..has anyone had it failed? I am in the best hands but I read some of the comments that people are worse off on here and it frightens the [edit] out of me!

I'm So sorry for the long story but I want you to all know it in full so you understand what and why. My back sounds so simple and baffles the Drs but my pain suggests otherwise since it's gone on for so long, I sometimes feel like they must think I'm making it up, but how salty who would want to, I've been in and out of hospitals since I was 5 and I hate them. :-( thanks you all for your time and in so sorry for the long long story