Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbee ACDF August 6

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,662
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone. My name is Elinor and I am 58 years old. I'm having a ACDF (I know now the abbreviations) on August 8 and have so many questions. I am enjoying this Board so much! It's comforting to know there are so many people out there going through or have gone through the same thing. My NS decided to do anterior instead of posterior. He thinks he can accomplish what he needs to do. He said it's a 4 hour surgery. I'm very scared. He will need to remove a bone pressing on the spine (which is the danger now) and then remove discs. I'm not sure why he wants to remove the discs and do fusion, but I believe he said it is necessary. Can anyone tell me what I can expect day-to-day after the surgery when I get home? Will I want company? Will I be able to eat & talk (I heard about the throat and voice), will the collar (Miami J) drive me nuts? Do you sleep in the collar and is it true I won't be driving for 3 months????? Will I be able to type on the computer? Will I be able to ride in someone's car? Most importantly, will I hopefully get rid of the numbness in both pinkie and ring fingers? Will I be walking better than I am now (I sometimes walk like I'm drunk!) These are just some of my questions. How is it right after surgery? Do you get up and walk the first night? I look forward to the day when I can help someone like me just like you guys are doing! My NS and I met a couple of weeks ago and set up the surgery, but I can't remember everything he said. I also have a surgical nurse to talk to, but I'd love to hear from anyone willing to help me get through this. :) Elinor

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you area very wise to be doing your homework about your surgery. you do need to make preparations for when you come home. you will probably need assistance for several days. you should have your kitchen stocked with healthy food, easy to prepare and made in advance as much as possible. you definitely won't be able to drive. you have alot more questions and these are only a few basic answers. i am a back person so i can only tell you so much. you might try looking for blogs about the issue. i believe there are some available on the forum. good luck and keep us posted. check the Back and Neck surgery section for some more input. Jenny :)
  • Welcome to spine-health,good luck with your surgury....