Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

KrisKKris Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Have had increasing lower back pain, and now in last 7 months feet and leg pain/tingling/burning have gotten really bad, to the point I have not been able to work in last 2 months.
MRI shows degernative changes to facets/disc L4-S1 and disc buldge L5-S1. (had annular tear L5-S1 healed). Also have previous T-12-L2 fusion from 15 yrs ago
EMG-Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome both feet/L5 L Leg radiculopathy
Discogram-Positive L4-S1-degenerative changes to discs/tear
Have had myleogram 1 1/2 yrs ago that showed L3-4 instability but doctors said it wasn't there.
Have hand NUMEROUS injections/radio frequency, diff. trials of meds, some chiropratic care, PT (not recently). I do use what I learned in therapy (exercises/stretches) at home daily and only exercise I get is walking daily that can only last about 30-40 min. because of feet. I was having decompression therapy from chiro but stopped due to money-insurance didn't pay, and at that point didn't get relief.
Now trying these Egoscue exercises. Was getting treatment for feet by foot doctor for 6 months but after failure put me off to a surgeon to rule out my back being the cause. PCP and pain doctor agree that it is my back, that it is rare to have tarsal tunnel.

1st surgeon I saw said he would try a fusion L4-S1 but of course didn't promise anything
2nd surgeon threw 1st surgeon under bus. No surgery, in fact, couldn't explain what was wrong with legs/feet and put me off to a PM&R doctor to figure out. Said that discograms were not reliable, nor EMG's because they are only as good as the interpreter. Also he said that people who have a history of depression and taking narcotics (who doesn't with chronic pain) NEVER get relief from back surgery.
Going to 3rd opinion this week who is a neuro guy, first two were ortho.
Anyone have any feedback or suggestions of alternative therapies. I am willing to try just about anything but with me out of work money has been the problem. I am starting PT AGAIN WED. to see if I can be doing something diff. Have have tried deep tissue relief which I have tried and spent about $500 with no relief and in more pain than before. I have not done that in over 4 years although
I don't want surgery, but with things getting so bad and my quality of life falling apart I don't know what to do.

• Hi Kris,

Welcome to Spine Health. Have you taken a look at the forum section for Alternative Treatments/Therapies. You might find some useful information there. The only other one I can think of based on my personal experience, would be acupunture.

Let us know what the doc says this week.