Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Medication for nerve pain

I had L5-S1 surgery on December 17, 2015. Basically the surgeon put in six screws, spacers and did a fusion about (4) four weeks ago. Prior to the surgery I had so much pain running from my right hip down to my foot that I was nauseous with pain and could not eat. I lost ten pounds. What a diet program! I still have some of the same pain but not so terrible, just a little terrible. It feels like someone has put thumb tacks all the way down from my hip to my foot. Am I understanding this correctly that this nerve damage repair could take up to a year? The question is what name brand and type of medication really makes it so that I could be really functional. I can live with a little pain but this is really too much. I've tried ice and heat to cover the pain without success. I need medicine that will really cover the nerve pain until the bruising heals itself. Right now I'm on 10mg Norco and 2400mg Gabapentin without much success.
Please give me some ideas I can tell my doctor.
Thank you,

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,841
    edited 01/11/2016 - 11:26 AM
    are the normal medications prescribed for nerve pain.
    Neurontin ( Gabapentin ) has the most room for dosages. But you are already on the upper limits (2400mg)
    At this point, I can not offer and recommendations in term of nerve pain, you are already at the limits.
    Perhaps you doctor can look at your pain medications.
    Even though narcotics do not DIRECTLY help with nerve pain, they help with overall pain.
    But that is up to your doctor to determine if you need more narcotics
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • robrobt33rrobrobt33 MichiganPosts: 11
    Thank you for your valuable input.