Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Low Dose Naltrexone

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Pain Medications
Has anyone else been prescribed Low Dose Naltrexone as a way to prevent tolerance to opioids? My dose is very low, but it seems to be cutting the effect of my pain meds by at least 1/3! I'm not sure what to do about this because I want to take my medicine as prescribed, but this is having the opposite effect of giving me a huge instant tolerance (I'm not sure how at .001mg dose).

Any other stories about this? Am I the only one to ever be prescribed this?

• backhurtz,, how are ya.. i was never prescribed naltrexone, but 2 years ago i was in a treatment facility for (prior to 4 major back surgeries) and a few people there was on the naltrex. its a med to help folks get off opiates, the purpose is to eleiminate the affect the opiates have to cause less interest and hopefully get off of,,,suboxone is a med which i was on that actually probably saved my life,, it helps with cravings, withdrawals etc..
  • Well, I know it is an opioid antagonist that can be used to treat overdose patients and perhaps to block addicts from (successfully) using. But supposedly my doc is prescribing it to me in micro doses to prevent the buildup of tolerance. I did find studies showing this as a benefit. I've just never heard of anyone actually taking it. I'm not sure what his reasons are for giving it to me when I doubt he (or other docs) are giving it to other patients. I guess it is worth a try if it works. I just wish I didn't feel like a guinea pig.