Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Trial over - Decision on which SCS had to be made

I just finished my St. Jude Trial (Ipod) and had very good luck with it. The main issue, was that it was very intermittent in buzzing my body (lower back to feet). I could look down, and it'd stop, look back up, and it'd work. I had to conclude that it was probably both that the leads were just floating in there, not tied down, and that they came out the surface, in which my body bends. I asked my Pain Dr. and the St. Jude rep about it, and they had the same thoughts, along with the Dr. recommending that I get paddles (T2).

Now, I had to decide which SCS. The Dr. didn't care which (suggestions were St. Jude, Boston Scientific and Medtronics). I was mainly interested in battery life and convenience. I wasn't fond of the attach-wire-to-skin charging/changing settings, or big ugly remotes to carry around, so I decided to stick with St. Jude and get their Proclaim Elite, which uses the Ipod as the Trial did. Next question, which type of battery? If I wanted the rechargeable, the Elite was out the picture and I had to use the Prodigy (wire and tail). Rechargeable battery was supposed to last 10 years. The non-rechargeable was good for 7. The rep did some calculation, setting changes, on her Ipad programmer, to see how long I could get, based upon my usage. I needed it 24/7 at setting 9of21. She said that I might get 5 years between battery replacements. 10 yrs rechargeable vrs 5 yrs non-rechargeable ? Remembering that I'm the type that likes convenience (and being a tech), I went with the Ipod/non-rechargeable route. I'm 63, so I won't have the generator replaced 'that' many times. They may improve the battery life in the future too.

Next step, waiting to see a neurosurgeon for a pre-visit and then set up the implant surgery.

I'm glad to had found this site. Lotsa nice people and a bunch of information to learn.

IMaBird @ jacksbanana.com