Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

If i only DIDNT listen to my doctor...

L5S1 karmaLL5S1 karma Posts: 30
edited 01/17/2016 - 7:07 AM in Recovering from Surgery
After a very sucessful L5S1. 2 years ago where i fully recovered within 2 weeks, i remember being very scared about a possible reherniation. At my 3 months appt, i remember soo well asking my doc if there was any restrictions from now on because i have seen cases on the internet of horrible stories. He told me and still tells me today that i must get out of the internet. 2 years ago i found this forum but i took his advise and didnt pay attention, didnt interact with others, didnt ask for advises.. Well hernia again.. Nerve damage, pure hell, off work going 5 weeks post op... I wish him or somebody have put the fear of God on me 2 years ago.. I would have taken better care of myself...now i will recover again.. I know i will as the only pills i am taking now are 200 mg gabapentin at night and a meloxican in the morning. I have no sciatic pain only the numbness on my feet. I have walked 4 miles today without agravation. If only God allows me to fully recover, this time i will Not listen to my doc, and "you can fo whatever you want" will not be an option.. According to him i have 50 percent disc left.. Hopefully this is enough to avoid a fusion in a near or even far future....

• I am due a fusion soon...I hope. What do you wish the doctor would have told you? I did the same thing with this forum a few years ago. I stayed away and didn't get advice. Two surgeries later, and I feel like I'm at the beginning again. What activities did you wish you didn't do? Is there anything that has helped through all of this?
  • He would have told me to work my core everyday like a madman.. To loose weight to do low impact exercises only, to stay away from gym and weight exercises, to not sit down a lot, maybe not even scuba dive anymore as i easily was adding another 40-50 lbs on top of my 280lbs. (Im6'4"). To tell me to do all that or i WOULD increase the chance of reherniation. But instead, hit 3 month mark, like a miracle, for him i had a brand new back... So i acted as i did....for two years..my fault.. I should be more analytical of my situation.. Never had an alert, my disk busted when i was sitting in bed putting my socks on...
    What symptoms are you getting that are pointing you to a fusion?
  • I've had 2 laminectomy/discectomies, spondylolethesis, arthrosis, and now the pain is horrible. Add the inability to walk straight, stand up properly, have to lean sideways when I sit, can't sleep a full night from the pain. I can't lift anything, no bending for household chores. I have pain in my legs, back, hips, and feet. It runs my life. I thought I scaled life back after my first surgery, and then more with the second. All the pt, acupuncture, injections, pilates, none of it gets rid of what feels like surgery on my spine while awake. I am hopeful a spinal fusion can at least mend me a bit, but I want to be careful, and not wreck my progress when and if I make some. I'm also tired of being on meds. It seems like morphine is practically a family member. ugh. Thanks for your post. I really need to hear of all the experiences I can. It's one of the ways I find hope. Sooo, which disc did you herniate post fusion? Was it an adjacent disc degeneration or something further away from the fusion?
  • I just had my L5S1 revision 5 weeks ago and i am fighting still with my recovery...
  • Having spinal fusion from T10, entire lumbar and s1. I am scared to death! First fusion was in 2008 and I did well for two years and then developed tumor in cervical spine. It healed well with rest and physical therapy but in 2014 I started having sciatica that put me out of work, the weakness in my legs was scary and the pain radiated down my entire left side. Was diagnosed with scoliosis in November 2015 and surgery set for Feb.2, I have quit smoking, trying lose weight and not lifting. What else can I do to prepare and what can I expect post-op?