Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Looking for fellow public safety personnel who have had multiple discectomies

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am a law enforcement officer who had a discectomy w/ laminectomy at L5-S1 on 5/21/08. I am facing a second surgery for a reherniation at the same level. My question is there anyone out there who has had multiple discectomies in my line of work and were you able to return to work following the surgeries. At present, I am not able to do anything and was concerned that the accumulated effect of the surgeries could possibly make me worse.

• I am not in that line of work but I wanted to welcome you to Spine-Health...the peeps are so awesome here..you will get an answer in no time;)

Look forward to seeing you around;)

• I'm not in Law Enforcement,but it's my dream career.Tried twice,but my spine didn't cooperate.That's why I opted for MicroD.Everybody tells me that I should forget about trying again.But i'm determined to give it try once more,at the least
    Two MicroD's in couple of months could be a big challenge when it comes to returning to work.LE jobs are very demanding physically.What is your doc saying about it?When is the 2nd surgery scheduled for?Let us know how you are doing.

All the best!G.
  • GogoBg, I just found out about the reherniation and I am gonna try at least 1 ESI before deciding on surgery. My doctor, a neurosurgeon, is extremely optimistic about a good recovery, he was the last time as well. He seems to think that I could return with little problem. My main concern is sitting with a 25lb duty belt on for 12hr shifts with the belt sitting exactly where I was cut for the next fifteen years. I reaaly would like to avoid any more surgeries.
  • you should try some conservative options first.I had a very good result with my first ESI(about 2 1/2 years).If the herniation is not too large you can try oral steroids,too.Talk to the NS about it.
    25lb duty belt?That will get me to think if my spine can really handle it.I truly hope your NS is right.Do you have any other issues with L-spine?Have you had an MRI to confirm re-herniation?