Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need help deciding to do surgery c5-7acdv

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
well, my mri says i have c5-7 herniation w/myelopthy, stenosis, and severe foraminal encroachment. went to 2 NS who said if i don't do it, it'll get worse and maybe can't be fixed. i've had it for 3 years. never was told of my mri results 3 years ago and never was referred to a neurosurgeon(sounds like a malpractice suit if you ask me).

anyway, my pain comes and goes. left arm, tricep, and hand pain and burning, and leg weakness, and now a new symptoms-pain between shoulder blades on the spine. basically, i feel 100 years old and walk like it too. my legs and heavy.

i need some advice. should i do it? will it work? should i wait for the new artifical disks? how long is recovery? how much pain? i'm a whimp when it comes to meds. i will throw up after anesthia and allergic to all anti-bioltic.

thanks for your help. i live in new york.

• I haven't had surgery, but the last N/S I consulted reinforced that myelopathy is serious. There are a lot of surgery success stories here on SH. Do your research before making a decision. Good luck--Mazy
  • Besides only getting worse, the symptoms of myelopathy may not be relieved even with surgery, if you wait too long.

My husband and I have been in denial about the EXACT same issue since Feb. He is having ACDF on Thurs.

The scariest part is that if you were involved in a minor accident, you could become quadraplegic!! They didn't tell you that?? I know Dave's first ortho didn't mention it. He told him to not wait 5 years for the surgery. I shudder to think about what could have happened. The two NS he saw explained the seriousness of the situation.

When they say myelopathy, surgery is the only answer.

Linda MI
  • I just thought I would follow up with my progress since surgery.
    I have had neck and back symptoms for probably 6-7 years but really just not aware of it. What I mean is that for me my neck/back/nerve pain was not diagnosed for years . They thought it was chest pain,elevated BP, problems with sensations in hands and feet told I had raynauds, on and on ....

Last year after I thought I was having a heart attack at 52 I went to a specific heart hosp. in Ok.,and had a complete heart work up. arteriogram and all everything was fine however they thought I had a small stroke 2 days later when I couldn't talk or move my body. Scarey!!! I improved and resume my activity although alittle off something just not right. Started fitness training to decrease weight and help stablize BP and improve outlook on life. Well it made it worse, I started having intense shoulderblade pain on my left side and I thought after several days I had hurt my shoulder. PCP...Ortho, found shoulder ok but had cervical disc problems...sent to NS in Jan. I tried all the usually stuff with no avail, PT,ESI,massage,drugs on June 13th I had surgery. ACDF C6-7 with cadaver bone and instrumentation and recently found out the nerve exiting side was so inflammed that he had to increase that outlet size from degenerated discs and huge bone spurs, he said I had an old persons neck.
    Sure I woke up in pain but it was a different kind of pain not the intense pain that had taken away my life before surgery this was post op pain and dealable once the pain meds corrected it. I had muscle spasms severly ( that comes the elevating and positioning for the procedure) and still do have some,and will be taking a muscle relaxant for a while and will start massage theraphy soon to help release some of the tenseness.
    My very active life is back!After 3 years of slowing down, I though well this the way it was to be getting older. Than last year I got to the point where I could not be upright for greater than an hour without severe pain around my shoulderblade. Had to stop driving and all that entails.
    But the Good NEWS, I went to my NS Monday and he is seeing the beginning of fusion. My first few weeks were rough , I over did probably a little type A,but I push through it and stayed positive with the help of family and friends and info from this board. You may not get written responses, but I viewed each read as apositive force in my healing.

Regarding your meds and antibiotics, let your doctor know your reactions to meds and he or she can deal with that. Anethesia also needs to be nothified of your side effects so they can give you meds to help with the reactions that you have. Medicine has improved in this realm.
    Permanenant nerve damage does not improve and you have to make a decision how you want to live your life. It is your journey you are in control.

I know this was long and I had said goodbye to the board but for some reason I felt the need to check in and came on your question I hope this helps. You can PM me, I am back to assist if needed. Good Luck.

This discussion has been closed.