Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Crazy Nerves

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
I'm 14 DAYS post-op from a microdiscectomy, and I feel so much better already. I had L3-L4, L4-L5, L5-S1 operated on.

When I woke up I couldn't feel or move my left foot/leg. The doctor didn't seem to concerned. I had to stay an extra night in the hospital because I couldn't walk. Slowly but surely I have regained mobility in my leg/foot.

I have never been in any pain just nerve discomfort. I have tingling sleeping sensation which then turns into pins and needles. I wake up with burning in the leg. When I stand to long my leg goes numb and my foot tingels.

My biggest concern is that I can not move my toes down at all. I have lost my mobility in my foot/toes. When I saw the doctor post-op he was puzzled and said he didn't operate around the nerve that makes my foot/toes go down just up. He blew it off and said it will take time.

Has anyone ever had this problem, if so how long did it take to go away? I'm a little nerves, but overall if I had to deal with this verse the back pain I was in I would take this. I am in no pain at all, back is doing great.

• Actually this is what had happened to me and L4,L5, and S1 nerve roots all control motion and sensation in the foot. I totally lost my left foot after the fourth surgery in January and I have been working hard to get function back. I can not go up on my toes and do not have the push off motion back yet. Those nerves control the muscles that help do these things. This will take time and work and a lot of patience. I do have constant numbing and constant pain in my foot. That hasn't changed yet in the last 5 months, but I keep working at it.
    I can't believe your surgeon said nothing he did would effect your foot. wow. Look up dermatones for these nerve roots on the internet. You can educate him.
    If you have more questions. Let me know.
  • You had a Discectomy on 3 levels!If so,that means a few nerves have been irritated,and will be "crazy" for awhile.

Welcome to the club!G. 8)
  • I had increased pain after an esi. Could the Doctor have damaged the nerve?
  • I had increased pain after an esi. Could the Doctor have damaged the nerve?
  • After my L1-2 microdiscectomy (and maybe for a few days before) it was impossible for me to bend my left foot upward for the first week, and even now its function lags well behind the rest of the leg.

It is quite normal for nerves to take a long time to heal. Just because you do not have a certain function 14 days postop does not mean that it is never coming back.

Beyond that, it would probably be good to participate in supervised physical therapy. The prescribed exercises have helped me regain what function I have regained.

• My doctor said no PT for 6 weeks post sx. I still have little function in my foot. Doctor still doesn't seemed concerned. I can't wriggle them and my leg/foot is still numb and I am still not 100%. I think the doctor did do something because, my toes just don't move no matter what. I will be patient and optimistic though and wait it out.
  • I had lots of numbness in my foot and a bit of lack of movement after my discectomy but it did gradually return and now after 3 weeks it is almost normal.
    I was warned though that the surgery had a 1 in 100 chance of giving me a drop foot and I was very scared about this.
    Let us know what happens and hang in there!