Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does chiropractic treatment actually help with pinched nerves?

Today was my second day seeing the chiropractor, and I feel as if there is no difference. The pain of my pinched nerve in the neck still remains the same. Essentially, the chiropractor just cracked my neck to both sides and cracked my back all the way through. Then I went on a massage table and rested while this roll thing kneading my back. How do I know if it's helping? Would I be better off getting a massage even though certain areas are sensitive to the touch?

• Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 483
    Hi Nila....I've been to many chiropractors since I was in my early thirties, not always for the same reason, and some helped, where others did nothing, or even seemed worse. I just didn't give up on the treatment, because I knew some can be reputable.

Depending on ones issue, it can take some time to get desired results, but I've also had just one treatment do the job.

I think for the most part, I've always looked at being treated by one as an ongoing maintenance care....mainly because of certain issues and line of work, averaging out to going once a month, as preventative of getting too out of alignment. That being said, I've always had health insurance that covers the treatments, my issues never exceeding the covered times of treatments.

My chiropractors wife was a massage therapist in same office, and if you booked on same day, my insurance counted that as one treatment....and for them to do so, I figured there must be a benificial purpose, and I found it did....seeing chiropractor first, then massage after.

I haven't been treated since my fusion, mainly because I think it's too soon, but when I get the go ahead I know just where to go, though I don't think I can have treatment in that lumbar region. I haven't felt comfortable to get a massage yet either, but hopefully that will be in the distant future.

Bottom line, there's good ones out there, just be careful finding them.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,818
    you are going to get a very mixed review.

There are people here that are very strong about staying away from chiropractors. Then there are a few that find results.

Sometimes it helps to understand the differences between the various type of medical help you can get Defintions of Chiropractor, Orthopedic, Neurosurgeon, etc
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Chiropractic "medicine" deals with the musculoskeletal system. However, many chiropractic offices use TENS therapy, which stimulates the nerves. Most of my back problems come from nerve issues and I have personally have never found relief from chiropractic, in fact, it made me worse. But this is only my personal experience. My portable TENS unit helps me; I would the doctor who is managing your condition if TENS therapy may be right for you. Good luck!
  • Mark2112MMark2112 IllinoisPosts: 3
    My dad is a retired chiro and he performed miracles, he is 89 now. He did a lot of continuing education like applied kinesiology, acupuncture, etc. He's was old school when adjusting. A lot of the chiropractors now are afraid to do a real adjustment and have those drop tables which are worthless imho
  • FareedFFareed Abilene , Texas Posts: 61
    In my case , I mad the biggest mistake in my life , I was complaining about little pain in my knee but my chiropractor damaged my upper back T5 and T6 which Im suffering now with alot of symptoms nerve pain in between my shoulder , legs , arms , headache ....., Ill never advice anybody to go to the chiropractor , and this is my own  experience   
  • lauramanllauraman AtlantaPosts: 27
    I think chiropractors are great. Some issues just take longer to heal than others. Some chiropractors are just not good though. 
  • They helped empty my bank account many years ago!  I didn't find their method of very little treatment technique helped me at all.   He used an activator tool, chatted to me and then charged me a lot of money!  However, once I found an Osteopath which involved more manipulation and adjustments, I did benefit.  As Dilauro said, mixed reviews from lots of different people.  I couldn't have avoided surgery without my Osteopath in the early days so that was a huge benefit for me.

I hope you find the treatment that works for you
    L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015