Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fusiion Neck c-5,c-6 and c6-,c7

PaticakesPPaticakes Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
:( Well i am 40..... and my Dr. Put it nicley to me.... OMG!!! you have the biggest bone spurs i have EVER seen!!!! hmmmm i wonder if he was doogie houser??? LOL at any rate, it was hard for him to believe that i am ONLY 40 and my neck has some SERIOUS damage to it..... hmmm maybe Alaska's great outdoors isn't so dang great after all!!!! His suggestion, as is all first repsonses, is to do Moderate to conservative treatment...Tens unit, PT, Massage therapy, traction, nerve block....blah blah blah....... my dilema is the neck fusion...??? pros i haven't heard a lot of, cons...Crap everyone has a con to it??? i want to hear from anyone who has had this done and what your quality of life is now??? i have radiculopathy,3 bulging discs Bone spurs on mt c6 & c7. And like i said HUGE.....any input will help he gave me three days or so to think about it.

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Is your arm pain? Any Foramonal stenosis? Any spinal cord compression?

These are some of the factors to determine if you will need surgery.

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• As Dr.Smithies put it...PT is my only other options...tens unit all that jazz. Yes Arm pain (not consistant) Foramonal stenosis-yes, left side neck makes my rt arm go numb. I can put pressure on one spot left side of neck and my rt arm numbs instantly. NO spinal cord compression. Hey i found a positive thank metalneck!!! :) But it makes me wonder when your dr tells you that you have the Biggest bone spurs he has ever seen. he was pretty discourage given my age and the extent of damage i have.... a lot of whiplash.
  • It's not the surgery that's the problem, it's the herniation that started the whole thing. Surgery isn't a solution, it's prevention and improving the quality of life that you wouldn't have without the surgery. Like Bubblegum said...."prevent more dammage in futrue, to stop the progressive disease as myelopathy, well, if in five years I am still abale to use the toilet like now, if I can walk as good as now, it was all well worth it."
    I suppose if you are bad enough, like I was, the decision for surgery is easier. No doubt it was the right decision for me. I'm not 100% now, but that's because of the herniation not the surgery. It is all a pro, no con.

The decision is yours, no one elses, but it certainly helps to understand what other people have been through.

Take Care.
  • Im in my forties too and my doc keeps telling me my back looks 20 years older than me! Ah well. I just had the exact surgery you are talking about and two weeks later my quality of life is already ten times better than it was! No pain at all anymore in the neck, arm, hand, back area. I was off pain meds in two days and back to work in five. I was just told by my doc yesterday that I can do all my normal routines except any extreme sports like football, rock climbing, or even volley ball but hey, I can ride my bicycle! I was up and walking 6 miles on day 2 after surgery and I was also not put into a neck brace at all. I know my story is not usual but I have had 17 other surgeries on various other joints and this is the best anything has ever gone for me. In fact, I am going dancing with a friend tonight, the first time in two years I have felt like doing that.

So, surgery at least for me has had it's positives. I watched my mom over the years who has had the same thing go in and out of pain with it and wind up in bed at least three days a week. I wasn't going there. Surgery isn't the only answer I am sure but it worked like a charm for me. My mobility is a little less, swallowing will be a bit difficult for a while but my quality of life is way better. In fact it is so good I am finally thinking of doing this with my lumbar spine since it has the same issue which forced me to but a different car just so I could get in and out of it.

Good luck in your decision making.

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Is great enough .... and not contolled by ANY means .... you will beg to have the surgery. It should be a last resort .... but for many of us ... it was our last change to have a life again.

Cervical radiculopathy and degeneration
    can steal all of your pleasure of living ... it can make your days (and nights) a living hell. When you get to that point, Pray and find the best surgeon you can. Place yourself in the surgeons and Gods hands and pray some more.

Peace to you,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• The reasons for surgery are many and are between you and your surgeon. For many patients, it's a quality of life issue- can't do your sports anymore, pain occurs when doing certian everyday activities etc.. For others, it's about avoiding permanent damage because of compression of the nerve roots and/or spinal cord. There is no "bad" reason to have surgery if both you and your surgeon feel that it is necessary for you to continue to live a comfortable life.

DO make sure that you learn all there is to know about what you are going to undertake and make sure that you can handle the worst case scenario....it DOES happen. A positive attitude is a great thing but know what can go wrong too. Going in with a Pollyanna attitude is simply fooling yourself and will not do you any good in the long run. It's important to explore ALL avenues of care and to get more than one professional opinion.

Unfortunately for you, a new possible surgical patient looking for the "good" stories, that most of the people with the best surgical outcomes simply stop visiting these boards. My best advise? Ask your surgeon to give you the names and phone numbers of some of his past patients that have had the same surgery to talk to. If he can't do that....WORRY! LOL

Good luck to you, whatever you deciede,

• hey. glad to hear you are better. seems like the men get better alot of faster. anyway,did you have spinal cord compression? did you have leg weakness?
  • as with most things in life, we only hear the bad things. I am in the same boat as you, having to make some of the same decisions. Unfortunately for me, I have been a Paramedic for the past 26 years, and have an understanding of how BAD some things can be. I was very specific when talking to my NS. I asked him if ANYONE had ever been paralized following one of HIS neck surgeries. Suprisingly, he told me of only 1 case and gave me the details of it. Cord compression was down to 2mm, patient was 80 years old, and the surgery part went as planned, just too much damage to get a favorable outcome. Overall, he states about a 99.5% positive outcome. I appreciated his honesty, and asked how MANY of these surgeries he had done. The answer was over 1650. I am still scared of surgery, but I feel better knowing I am not his FIRST.
  • excellent. slept 7 hours no meds last night. got up, biked to gym, worked out for over an hour, came home and went to get a pedicure. (OK, all my days are not like this!) but point is, last winter, I could not get out of bed, nor sit in a chair, even to get feet massaged. my shoulders ache a bit, as being in a brace for 11 weeks really did a number on my neck muscles. I am still working to get some flexibility back to be able to turn my head side to side. but I take no pain medication, no sleep medication, nothing. my scar is barely visible. I am working full time. last week I bought luggage and a plane ticket to Hong Kong. some days I cry because I am so happy, I never thought I'd feel like this again. it is not perfect, but god I feel so much better.

I wish you luck - this is not a an injury I'd wish on anyone, and none of the solutions are easy or perfect. actually, most of them involve pain and risk. but there is definitely lots of hope out there.
  • Oh i am soooo jelaous... No, it is good to hear excitement!! At this point it is about Quality of life and i have really taken to reading all responses and let me tell you i do not pity myself anymore and i will be doin the surgery in order to STOP further damage however already know that disc replacement in my c-1 thru c-4 will be imminent in the future..... but the pain is only controllable via Narcs and i am tired of being doped up... so maybe this will help me not be soooooo "dopey" THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE REPSONDED......
  • :P who's your DR? does he have any openings??? LOL That is great !!!! i hope your dancing shoes weren't to dusty.... i haven't danced.... wait what's dancing again???? ;) . i did decide to have it. I will be going under in jan-feb.....
  • This is my first post, but I have been reading these boards since I got my MRI results in February. 4 spurs, 1 disc bulge, 1 degenerative disc and a moderate degree of stenosis. I was actually glad to get these results - thought all the weird,moving,stabbing pain was MS! Now I am scheduled for ACDF C5-6-7 end of August.
    I have been getting by doing OTC pain relievers; but they don't get me through the night. I am looking forward to more than an hour or 2 of straight sleep........
  • }:) I had fusion to c4-6 6 weeks ago. I am reading all of these great comments about pain........ I still have a pinching pain on the left side of my neck in the back. I had really bad headaches prior... Those are gone. My surgeon said the pain is normal. He is a man of few words. Has anyone else had this kind of pain. Thank you for your experience, strength and hope!
  • I too am just now 6 weeks postop and have that "pinching" feeling in my shoulders. Actually, that's about the only pain I do have. My doctor and nurse both tell me it's normal and it's due to being in this collar for all this time and just not using these muscles, but this too, will go away, as did all the horrible pain/numbness/weakness, etc. that got me to the two-level ACDF in the first place.

Hang in there! We're definitely on the mend.

• im wondering any one on here can see what i do any opinions are welcome . i have all the usual pain in my hands arms neck and since my pt its got worse .now ive lost 20% movement on right side and a little less on my left .heres a pic https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/523610_10151896668255260_526010066_n.jpg
  • You have posted on a thread that is 4 years old so for people to see you and respond...it would be good if you started your own thread...

No one here is a medical professional and cannot comment or diagnose you based on any type of symptoms or photos of tests...(I don't click on any links due to potential viruses) so I assume that is what you posted...

You need to seek out a Board Certified Neurosurgeon or BC Orthopedic Surgeon to do MRIs to give you answers. Was either of those the Dr. who ordered the tests for you? Whoever did...will be the one to read the results and let you know what the next line of treatment should be...