Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

waiting for 4th fusion with bone morphogenic protein.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi :)

I'm 21 years old and i'm waiting for my 4th fusion of L4-S1 using bmp as I have spondyloptosis and ehlers-danlos syndrome. I had a posterior fusion and decompression when I was 12 which failed and then I had an anterior and then a posterior fusion when I was 19 which also failed. My surgeons think that I should have another fucion with bmp but I know nothing about it. If my funding is approved, i'm having surgery on 2nd September which is scarily close.

I was wondering if anyone know anything about bmp, specifically:
- do they still harvest a bone graft if they use it?
- how long does it take to recover (roughly)
- is it very different from fusions without it?
- do they usually go for an anterior or posterior approach?

I'd be really grateful if anyone could temm me anything that they know about it at all!

Thank you!

Em x

• Wow, I'm sorry you've gone through all of that and especially at such a young age! They used BMP with my last fusion in November and they did not have to harvest bone when they did it. I believe they did still use some donor bone. My surgeon used a 360 approach and it felt very similar to every other surgery that I have had using my bone and donor bone, only no hip pain from the harvesting of bone. As far as recovery is concerned, that is different with every patient. Mine is very slow but some people recover quite quickly and my surgeon said that using BMP actually can speed the fusion process.

Your doctor should be able to tell you what kind of approach he is planning to use and answer questions regarding additional bone.

As you know, healing from any fusion takes time and this one will not be any different.

Good luck and keep us posted!
  • I just had my 2 level fusion on Monday and my surgeon used cadaver bone, my own bone and BMP.

I have not heard of what happened to me happening to anyone else yet (maybe I just have not looked hard enough yet) but I ended up having a second surgery on Wednesday to remove some of that BMP. The Dr. told my parents when I was in recovery that there was a rash on my skin, edema and swelling that indicated that I had an allergic reaction to the BMP. I still have the spacers and all in the cages.

I started with some new numbness in my right leg - my left leg was the one prior to surgery, never my right. The wooden feeling was spreading rapidly. Post surgery the numbness has stopped spreading, but is not going away either. I can still feel my leg, it just feels coated and iced (without the cold). I can still walk and move my leg too. It's just inflamed nerves for now I think. It may be permanent, it may go away in a few days...

I am not upset about this - if numbness is the only side effect I have - well, I think I got off easy peasy. Now I just have to heal from the double-whammy of 2 major surgeries in the space a few days. And the normal srugical recovery stuff.
  • Thank you Cathy and saltzworks for your posts.

I am still waiting to hear whether the NHS will fund this operation and i'm panicking because I have no answer and I have to go back to uni on friday if they wont fund it!

I still have heard nothing from my surgeon either whihc is concerning as the provisional date is 2nd September so everything is a bit 'up in the air' at the moment!

Anyway thank you both for sharing your experiences. I hope that everyone is well and i'll update when I hear anything.

Em :H