Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hi everyone,

My boyfriend has been having extremely severe back pain for the past 5 days and I would like to see if anyone has advice on what to do/how to help.

The pain back is in his upper back, it was to the left of his spine, where the pain would shoot from that point, over to the side of his back, and up to his shoulder. Now, the pain has moved mainly towards his middle upper back. It has gotten so bad, that he has trouble sitting down or laying down. As you can imagine, that leads to very minimal sleep. Last night it was so unbearable for him to sit or lay that he paced around the house for hours.

We went to a doctor Tuesday night, they did an X-ray but didn't see anything- and he just got prescriped pain meds, anti-inflammatory, and muscle relaxers. He went to see a chiropractor yesterday afternoon, who said his back was "all mangled up", but he couldent do an x-ray until the back calmed down.However, he did some work on his back- some shock thearpy stuff, massage, and cracking. After he got home from the chriopractor, he was in worse pain than he ever had been! He is going back today but is nervous it will cause more pain again. I have never seen my boyfriend cry in the 3 years, but man did those tears flow last night. I feel so bad, he is so exhausted from lack of sleep and there is just nothing he can do. He says it feels like extreme spasms.

Any advice?

Thanks for your help!

• and welcome to the forum. Your boyfriend may need to get an MRI...it would definitely show more of what may be going on. Hopefully he doesn't have any spinal problems but it does need to be checked out. Please do not fret too much , even if it is spinal issues then there are all kinds of conservative treatments that can usually be tried...surgery IS NOT always the first thing that has to be done. Please keep us posted as to how both of you are doing and if you can get him to join then that would be great because there is so much support and understanding here from all of our amazing members. Take care sweetie , Miki
  • Thank you very much.

I just got off the phone with him. He is back at the doctor. He said the pain was so bad this morning he couldn't move so he decided to go back.

I told him to request to have an MRI done, but I also told him to try and get a Lyme's Disease test done. It seems as though the left side of his face is beginning to "droop" a little, which I know is a sign of Lyme's--and I know Lyme's has joint/muscle pain symptoms.

I'll keep you updated.
  • are most welcome. Please do keep us posted and I am glad to know that he is at the doctor's office. If there is anything at all that I can do for you then please just let me know....Miki
  • So glad your finding out info and support for your boyfriend.
    One thing I find odd is the chiro not doing xrays.
    The few my hubby has been to do them before they even touch his back. So mabye they can see an issue say a regular MD would not pick up.
    YES the MRI is the best bet. Most primarys will order one.
    You just never know it could be the spine or something else.
    Tell him to rest if possible. Especially if he has time to take from work. Ice/heat/very very gentle stretches. Of course as you know we are not all drs but just have our own personal experiences of our own pain.
    If it gets to bad he may want to go to the ER. That way they will do blood work from A-Z ( did for me anyway to rule out other things) and possibly if the CT or MRI machine is open they may just do one there. Yes a big pain to do so as your there for hours. But mabye he can find out something and get some referrels to a orthopedic who specializes in spines.
    Good luck to him!!!! I feel his pain and yours.
    Let us know.
    ;) ;) ;)
  • Well I took my boyfriend to the ER on Friday night....the pain was becoming unbearbale and the bell's palsy on his left side of the face was freaking him out!

the doctor said it seems as though his nerves in his upper left back are inflammed, which is causing the spasms from his back to shoulder up to the neck. they said the bell's palsy could be caused by the constant clenching and spasms going up to his neck, which could have weakened the facial nerve. they did a cat scan just to be safe- and everything looked normal. he also got a lyme's test done which should be back today.

he seemed to be doing a little better saturday and sunday, he has been able to lay and sit down (which he was unable to do before). he is vico-profen (mixture of vicodin and iboprofun), muscle relaxers, and an anti-viral (in case the bell's palsy is related to the virus).

i just hope the pain is gone soon!! I have never experienced back pain, but is it the worst kind of pain you could experience?! i have never seen someone in this kind of pain.

he's going to try acupuncture this week to see if it helps. i think the bell's palsy is just frusturating him a lot...it's difficult to talk normally and to drink/eat. its scary too b/c bell's palsy can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months to NEVER for it to go away. hopefully his relief comes sooner than later...
  • are great! he is lucky to have a companion and friend like you,all this and your sticking like glue...AWSUMMM! i had a friend who had the bells before and he hid away for a while, ime nogonna tell ya to stand close by,coz your way ahead of the curve. good luck to yall and God bless your relationship!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health