Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Epidrual Injection ??

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Spinal Injections
Okay, from what I've read this injection will trigger the pain, right? I have no pain in my neck. It's all in my shoulder and sometimes a shooting/burning sensation across the upper chest towards the neck. So does that mean those are the two places where I should experience the pain IF those discs are in fact the cause of it? And if I don't feel any pain does that mean that's not the problem at all?? :?

• I haven't had the shots yet, but from everything I've read, it's the opposite of what you've described.
    The shots are supposed to resolve the pain, not trigger it.
  • that I read that somewhere, and a few times too, about the pain coming back briefly either during or after the procedure (although it eventually settles down). But now that I'm actually hunting for it, I can't seem to find anything now. I must've been reading it about something else. blah. :? :? :?
  • Sorry, I misunderstood your original description.
    Think of when you hit your head, the injured tissues swell and you get a lump. The holes in your vertebrae where the nerves run through, there is little room to handle the swelling of the injured nerve. The injections put the drugs right at the site of the injury, but at first the extra fluid can contribute to the tightness, and can cause more pain. As the fluid dissipates and the drugs start to work, the pain should start to resolve.
  • Thanks Jill. :) I'm glad you verified it because like I said I'd read it several times UNTIL I went back to find the info and I couldn't. Today is a very bad day for the shoulder and though initially I was dreading having to have the epidural, I'm in so much pain this afternoon that I really can't wait for it. Funny how that happens.
  • Thanks so much for the encouragement Paulgla. I really, really want this to be a solution. My entire shoulder has been very painful the last couple of days and it's traveling down the arm and to the fingers. I'm so frustrated it's not funny. :(
  • Hi Angela, I've just had my 8th lot of steroid injections to the cervical facet joints, with 7 joints getting injected.
    I took my pain med too late so it hadn't kicked in,and I felt a bit of nerve irritation with the injections, but it was bearable. It is an uncomfortable procedure, though not painful.
    I was still getting a bit sore for the next 3 days, but then it suddenly got much better. It seems to take a few days to settle the inflammation.
  • From last Sunday until the wee hours of this morning my shoulder has been flared up really bad but today not much trouble at all. Tomorrow is the injection and I'm really hoping it helps. Thanks so much for everyones replies. :)