Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long have you been taking your med?

CRASH21CCRASH21 Posts: 139
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Pain Management
I plan to discuss this with my doctor on my next visit. Wondering if I can stay on my pain medication forever. I am taking the maximum of Darvocet every day. I still have pain but it is usually tolerable. Is there a risk to staying on pain meds for a long time. Is it possible to take pain medication in place of surgery to relieve the pain. Does the med loose its effect once you have taken it for a long time?

• :) HI! you have alot of good questions. Darvocet is a very mild medication. regardless, there is always a risk to using pain meds for a long while. i see that mostly involving your liver and your stomach. taking your meds as directed and taking appropriate blood tests can help in this. is it possible to use pain meds and other conservative treatments in lieu of surgery. if there is nerve damage involved this is most likely not advisable. meds can build up a tolerance in your body and that usually means you will need to go off it for awhile, use another medication and if appropriate, go back on it. this is normal and may not even happen at all for you. there are always problems involved with taking meds and i have just brushed the surface for you. your doctor is the best person to answer your specific questions.i am sure others have some good things to contribute as well. good luck with your pain problems. Jenny :)
  • I had this same conversation with my doc last week. He said that you will build up tolerance and the dose will need to be increased when this happens. I am on a fairly low dose of methadone (long acting opiate) so it does not effect your organs or stomach very much and he said that he feels perfectly comfortable increasing my dose as needed.
  • I have been on 5/500 Vicodin for probably two years. First to get me to my knee replacement and then after that surgery.The next time it was for the back to get me to this summer so I could have it fixed. It seemed to work for me without having to increase the dose. Right now I am on Lortab - at least until I see the doctors again.
  • I have been on vicadin es for over 5 years,i am not a surgical canidate,so my back pain is chronic.....
  • I started taking Norco 7.5 mg about 3 years ago when I first started having back pain. As my pain and my symptoms got worse I was taking more and more and built up a tolerance. I then went up to the 10mg dose so I didn't take as much but got some relief. I had surgery finally 2 yrs later and still of course have pain. I am still on the Norco 10mg and see a Pain Management doctor every month. He says if you need the medication to "function" everyday it is perfectly fine to take the medicatiop forever. Of course you need to take it as prescribed. Most Opiate based pain meds have little tylenol in them so they won't cause liver damage as long as you don't take over the amount. I would ask about seeing a Pain Management doctor who can monitor you and your medications so if you do need to take them long term, you will not have to worry about health issues.

Good Luck!

• 17 years 9mths 3days and 23mins, and still my head hurts.

Take care and stay under the radar.

• I'm in the same boat os the rest of the posters. I am on Morphine sulfate, hydrocodone, Soma, Etc....

Been 2 years now, but since most of the pain is from the Facet ARthritis, accordong to the doc, I am not a surgical candidiate.
  • I remember when I began seeing my PM Dr. he said this: "You and I are going to become very good friends over the coming years" He was right. I have been seeing him a little more than 6 years but have been on pain meds for about 30 years. No liver damage, no stomach damage, I wish it were a bit smaller though and all in all, pretty healthy. I had my first of three back surgeries in 1978 and that was six years after my first of 3 shoulder surgeries. So 30 or so years of pain meds and no problems. Not bad.
  • I have been taking morphine sulfate extended release for 6 yrs and my doses have gone up over the years.At the moment i take 60mg tabs 3 times a day.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    Well, I have to go back to prior to my first Spinal Surgery in 1978. Thats when I first started taking various types of pain medications. Over the years, in between 7 spinal surgeries and countless flare ups, I have been on/of pain medications for over 30 years now.
    Most recently I am on a 30 month stretch taking pain medications. During that time, my pain management doctor always wanted me to have blood work drawn every 90 days, which I am happy she did.
    Today, I have finally stopped taking the Oxycontin ER and now am in the process of reducing/stopping the Oxycodone IR breathrough meds.

Its not always how LONG you have been on pain medications its WHY you are on them. When you have pain manytimes the only way to deal with it is through pain medications. Unfortunately, there are people that take pain medications because they want to. But hopefully good pain management doctors discover those quickly and put a stop to that.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com