Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi, my name is Lyn. I am 46 yrs old and have been married for 26 yrs. I have four children, Connor-17, Carson-14, Cameron-13, Caity 11. My first surgery for my back was in 12/05, a laminectomy at L3/L4. It relieved the shooting pain, but still moderate to severe pain persisted. Docs said it was DDD and stenosis. I had many therapies and treatments, injection, etc. and was able to live somewhat normally until this spring, when the same level herniated again. It has worsened again in June, so I checked with 4 different surgeons and decided to have a PLIF. Most of the surgeons wanted to do the 360 fusion, or anterior/posterior. My NS who is doing the surgery said that the pain of doing both sides would be tremendous, since my level is higher. He thought that PLIF would be almost as successful, and that is what we settled on. My surgery is scheduled for next Wed, July 30th. I am anxious and unsettled. Would u please let me know what the recovery is like, what limitations, etc. Thanks for your help! Lyn

• :) hi! and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you are wise to be doing your homework before your surgery. there are some things you might need to attend to. are you going to have the help of your family during this time? you will need assistance! perhaps the toilet seat needs to be higher. you can get one at a medical supply or some pharmacies. you might check out a grabber to help you maneuver. these are just a few things to think about. good luck and please keep us informed of your progress. i will be thinking about you on the day of your procedure. sending lots of positive energy your way, Jenny :)
  • Is incontinence a side effect of PLIF? I have seen it mentioned a few times in this forum. Is it permanent, or does it go away? Does everyone have it?

I have prepared much better for this surgery than for the laminectomy. I do have a toilet extender. I also purchased a hospital table and a wedge pillow to help me get up out of bed. Oh-I also have a grabber from last time.

Any other helpful hints or tips are so appreciated. I want to be as ready as possible. Thanks!
  • Welcome Lyn,

Good luck with your surgery!
    Do you have a walker? Did your doctor order you a back brace? or a Bone growth stimulator? Your doctor will tell you how long you have to wear these depending on your x rays and follow up.

I had the ant/pos fusion. I think most people do not generally have problems with incontinence but getting to the bathroom fast enough, big difference. The first signs of bladder and bowel problems your doctor should know about immediately.

Although my surgery and recovery is different than what you will experience feel free to PM me with any questions.

Wishing you a pain free day.
  • I too will be thinking of you next Wednesday and am wishing you the easiest recovery possible. Check out the surgery section. They used to have a list of things there that you may need. If you do not see the list. Post a question asking for it because somebody there has it and can email it to you. Good luck and please post as soon as you are able post op.
  • Welcome :)

I started a thread for Us Three Amigos in the surgery section.