Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Titanium and Airport Security

saltzworksssaltzworks Posts: 1,031
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey, so it was posed as a 'Weird Question' - what do we do about the metal in our backs and airport security -

So I asked my NS on his visit today:

He said not to worry about the card - it's forgeable and I don't really need it.

All we have to do is lift the back of our shirts and have them wand the oh-so-beautiful scar back there for confirmation -

What we DO have to watch out for - be wary of the airport security that waves you through!!! :jawdrop: What else could be getting through on that plane if they aren't finding your hardware :) :)

We get to be our own best test for airport safety ;)

• Saltz,

Haven't been through the airport yet, but I have entered quite a few secure government buildings. Titanium will not normally set off a metal detector unless the sensitivity is set real high. I wouldn't worry about it. I did not set off any alarms while the hardware was still in my back.

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    A non-ferous metal .... I have been through a number of metal detectors ... airports and court house and have never set off ANY.

Fear not and be just.

There is no Justice ... Just us.

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• was my thread. I just wondered cause I travel back and forth to Canada alot because thats where I'm from originally and my son still lives there. I just dont want to go through the hassle of dealing with airport security.
    That would be such a pain.
    I asked my surgeon after my cerival fusion last year and he told me if I had any problems getting through security at the airport to just get them to call him. I'm thinking...sureeeeeee...lol
    Ah well, I'll ask him again when I have my next appointment since now I have more hardware.

Christina :)
  • I was given a card that I carry in my wallet that identifies that I have (had) implants in my back. Maybe you could ask your doctor for an identification card.

• This always makes me laugh, when I was in hospital after my fusion for scoliosis, and my reaction to the Xray was "Will I bleep at the airport?" and my surgeons words were "Luv, this aint cheap metal!" Haha so funny, makes me laugh every time.

Lyssie xx
  • The machines are getting more and more sensitive these days - Watches, belt buckles, coins in your pocket can trigger the more sensitive ones. I triggered some machines when I had my hardware and I still trigger some machines since my hardware came out.

Fact of the matter is even with a card or a letter from your doctor if you trigger the machine chances are you will be waved over with the wand, or frisked - its a fact of life these days if you travel by air.
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• going into Walgreen's sometimes...lol I don't have a card but I might have to carry a copy of my x-ray(it's on paper) or they might start getting suspicious ;)
  • that we can get a "credit card" size photo of our x-ray, have it laminated, on the opposite side, type up (like me), first your full name, "3 level spinal fusion, 2-6" titanium rods, 6 screws,Dr.'s Name, Health insurance provider and ID#,and Doctors phone number. I've set off WalMarts embarrasing alarm once. So I'm thinking it would depend on the security machines sensativity level.

Another idea is one of those "Medic Alert" bracelets. Get on their web-site, they have many to choose from, and have all the same info on the bracelet.
  • Sorry to giggle, that must be so embarrassing!! Sheesh, shopping theses days is enough a pain in the butt, but to set off store alarms??? My goodness!! My cell phone has set off a few alarms in the mall, as I was walking IN to the store. Hope you guys don't have to deal with this ALL the time!!
  • Now I'm gonna be paranoid when I walk into Walmart..LMAO! Thanks Guys! ;)

Christina :)
  • I needed a good laugh today - you all are fantastic! Not that the laugh did not hurt like ---- :D

I had not thought of setting off store alarms! Holy Cow, I get embarrassed when that happens now - and to think that security if just going to get tighter and tighter - we've GOT to think of some good jokes and one-liners to follow up our beeping backs!

Thanks Christina for posting the weird question in the first place - you've made my day!

Oh, and I had to share your surgeon's comment on 'this ain't cheap metal' Alyssa - LMAO indeed!!
  • I have had Harrington Rods for over 30 years. They have always set off metal detectors in court houses, airports and cruise terminals.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    I have a titanium plate and screws in my neck, I have two titanium rods and ball in my shoulders, I have two titanium rods and balls in my hips.   Depending on the airport, I will see the alarms off.
    The last trip to Europe 2008, I set off all alarms and needed to go into a dressing room. 
    Leaving the White Plains airport last November, nothing happened.  When I came out to Chicago this past week, I set off alarms at LaGuardia .... But I had previously told the TSA officers, so there really wasnt a problem.  I am leaving from O'Hare tomorrow to LGA, who knows what will happen.

The toughest screening I ever had was at the Top of the World at the Time Life Bldg in NYC.   Not only did I fail every wan test, I had to remove my shirt and part of my pants while the agents examined everything.  It was harder here than it was at the 9/11 memorial.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I worked as a deputy jailer and every day they would give me a hard time because I would walk in and the metal detector we had would go off and if they where board they would get the wand out and go over my should and back and joke that they where going to have to do a cavity search to see what I was hiding 
  • gfishggfish Pittsburgh PAPosts: 158
    Titanium is a  ferrous metal. And a magnet will not stick to titanium. It usually does not set off metal detectors at stores, malls, schools, police wands. At airports where security is tougher. There is a greater chance. You walk through the metal detector, it goes off. They then wand you to see which area it is. In our cases, the back. The guy then pads my back and I proceed to tell him its Titanium rods from a fusion. I always dress casual, so i can lift my shirt easily to show my 10" scar. Then im free to go. Even with a card, they will still pull you aside. You will only have to deal with that at airports. 
    Greg fisher
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    When I left  Chicago O'hare to LGA this past Sat (02/06/16) I was surprised about the TSA check.   People did not need to take off their belts or shoes.  They could keep everything in their pockets as long as it wasn't metal.  Also had to take off their jackets.

When I explained my situation with all the titanium, they had me take off shoes, belts, jacket almost everything.  I went through the big scanner, and when I came out of that, they did a complete pat down of my body and a body scan with their wand (3 times).   Two items they had to recheck.  My one shoulder sticks out and has a bump on it from the shoulder surgery.  So that they needed to see physically.   And my one leg thigh is hard and sticks out more than the other.  So, there was more of a check on my thigh.  Didnt need to remove any clothing.

But overall, no problem and I was glad to see how complete they did their job.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
This discussion has been closed.