Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain meds didnt work

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Its been about 6 weeks after my anterior/posterior spinal fusion of the L4,L5 S1 and I just was thinking is it normal for me to be still in this much pain. I take Oxycodone 30mg 4x dialy for the breakthrough pain I take Hydromorphone 6mg when needed. when I was in the hospital though after the surgery I was so much in pain,anxiety kicked in I really thought i was in hell!!! Pain scale? U could hear me 2 floors down u know screaming! It was just unbelievable if you wernt there.I asked my Primary,orthppedic surgeon, neurologist what might of happened ,and no one has a clue. Im so afraid to have another surgery which is a possibility. I Had my 6 week checkup x-rays showed no bone growth yet ortho surgeon siad its to early still to worry about that yet. The hardware in the middle of my back hurts so bad still is all these things normal??. or if you ever heard of a reaction like i wrote about please shout it out im listening??lol.

degenerative disk disease,spondythesis or how ever u spell that one??,stenosis.

Anterior spinal fusion L4-5 L5-S1 used some type of bone growth something or other . Posterior spinal Fusion L4-5 with all the neat gadgets that go with it.

• From what you just had performed, both an Ant. & Post. operation, you did go to hell! Your body is going thru so many new adjustments. My Daughter is an Orthopedic surgical nurse, and she has explained to me all about surgeries in general. Once your derma is disturbed and muscle damage from accssing the area, is probably more damaging then the actual Fusion itself. Your going to have to find that gentle movements and obtaining a "comfort zone" to adjust to. All the pain meds won't be effective until you calm down and understand that your in for some recovery time. I realize that this is probably making no sence to you at this point. I have been there several times and it is/was apparent that I wanted an instant fix. I don't believe in the so called pain scale as each person is differant to tolerance. What have your Dr.s' suggested so far? I wish I could wear your pain just for your comfort, In closing, please take it as easy as possible, gather any tips or tricks you can find. Dr.s' have X amount of patients each day and the louder you yell, the less they seem to listen. Please don't let me put anymore fear to you, but just try to hang in there.
  • At 6 weeks I would think that the pain should be easing a lot by now. I suggest that you start pushing your surgeon hard for some answers as to why you are still in a lot of pain. Don't let him brush you off. I had severe DDD and severe stenosis and had a single level laminectomy & fusion. by 6 weeks my pain level was considerably reduced, BUT we are all different and it can be a little dangerous to compare one patients experience with anothers'. nevertheless, you deserve some more qualified answers from your surgeon so push him for these.
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator