Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Im stopping my meds...

manaleriemmanalerie Posts: 549
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Pain Medications
I logged on just now, and for the life of me I can't remember why. There was something I wanted to check. Don't have a clue.

This is yet another reason I am stopping my medications. I can't deal with the side effects of Kadian anymore. Seems all I do is sleep all the time. Or I don't sleep at all. Last night, I went to bed at 10 pm. hadn't had a nap all day. Woke up at 12 midnite, ans was up till 8am making my son breakfast. Still wasn't even tired till about 1pm.

Its 3:30pm and I've managed a few catnaps. Right now I feel like a zombie. I am so tired, I think I fell asleep on the toilet =)

I had decided yesterday, I am weaning myself off of the Kadian. I am also looking for a new neurologist. I am seeing a PM on the 12th of August, and a neurosurgeon on the 14th. I hope they can find a better medication or combination for me.

I never had such terrible side effects with the meds I was on before. My neurologist just wont listen, and is not willing to try anything other than Kadian.

Last time I saw him, I told him that my PCP insisted I get surgery, he said to me "what, he wants you to have surgery on your hip?" Are you kidding me? Sure, the pain is in my hip, but my back is the problem. You have my MRI results IN YOUR HAND!!

• I am in a similar situation. I am 30 with a 2yo and a 4yo and this whole disc/back/nerve/surgery etc thing is really hard on me. Even our diagnosis' are similar. I have missed out on so much of my last 2 years and the only two years of my youngest daughter's life. My pcp thinks I need surgery too - but there is not a surgeon in site that will even take me as a patient. My original surgeon butchered me so badly that they wont even consider it. Plus the surgeons in this area have some bizarre pact that if one sees a patient - no other will see the patient. It stinks and it has left me in limbo. It is so hard with the kids. As I am sure you know.
    I feel like I cant talk to any medical professional about my pain. Right now I am on oxycontin and although it helps - its not strong enough - but at the same time, I dont think I should be on a stronger dose...if that makes sense.
    I really think you should find someone willing to change your ER meds. If I were to tell my PM that I do not want to be on something she would change it in a heartbeat. I have had her change it even over the phone.
    There are a lot of people that can tolerate Morphine based meds and there are a lot of people that can not. I am one that can not.
    Dont give up. being in pain isnt that answer either. I think you are on the right path with trying to see a different doctor. Express to them how much tha Kadian is affecting you.
    Good luck.

• I'm not sure if I posted above, but I will be seeing a PM on August 12, and a neurosurgeon on the 16th. I am hoping they will be able to figure something out.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865

So many people have different results with different pain medications. Its the job of a Pain Management doctor to work with you to come up with the right 'blend' of medications to help control and manage your pain. That blend will also include other medications that are not direct pain medications, but muscle relaxers, nerve medication, etc

I know that it took my psychiatrist and myself almost 6 months to come up with what really helped me and didnt put me over the edge.

I hear so many situations like yours where the Neurologist doesnt pay enough attention to your situation, and the Primary care physician can only go so far.

I believe that finding the right 'doctor' is just as important as finding that right 'blend'

Amanda, good luck, I'm thinking about your well being and family.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I saw the neuro today, and told him I couldn't stand taking Kadian any longer. I asked him to please put me back on what had worked for me before (Norco, Soma) but he was reluctant. He did however change me to Ultram and Skelaxin, which I am grateful for. He said that when I see the NS, and PM they can adjust and change again if needed.

Thanks a lot guys...