Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fusion Harware Removal

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am looking for some help regarding this. I am only 23 and I am going on my 3rd back surgery. I had my first one when I was 16. I had a laminectomy, then when I was 18, I had cracked a vertabrae and had to have a Spinal Fusion 2 weeks after my High School Graduation and my entire summer after highschool was ruined. Now I am still in pain, I currently have the nerve disease called Arachnoiditis, and slowly the sensation in my legs and toes are going away....and I am scheduled to have my hardware removed in November...has anyone had a hardware removal surgery done???? I just graduated college and im trying to start my life...with working etc. Any words of wisdom is greatly appreciated...thanks..

• I have had 2 laminectomies and finally a spinal fusion in 1999. I asked my Dr. (NYC) if the hardware ever had to be removed and he said "not unless they are protruding through the skin and/or giving you problems." Why are they removing yours? I'm confused.
  • they are removing it because my back where I had surgery is SO sensitive to touch. If it gets hit/ or if someone touches it, i get excruciating pain, and pain through my legs
  • I had my L5/S1 fusion hardware removed about a year and a half after my fusion and the removal resulted in decreased pain in the area of my back where the hardware had been. No more pain when the area was touched or pressed on. I had developed bursas over the screw heads, which were the cause of the pain. The bursas were removed at the same time.
  • Still partially paralyzed in the right leg. I had my hardware in for 23 years.
    sometimes you win sometimes you get my dr.