Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5-S1 fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:20 AM in Lower Back Pain
I had l5-s1 spinal fision 6 weeks ago and the everything seems to have went well. Much of the pain I had before is disipating. I am following doctor's orders and the physical therapist's exercise program. but, I am having a terrible time with muscle spasms. The doctor has me on Baclofen. I use ice packs. These spasms are not just painful but they make me nervous because I never know when they will hit.

Has anyone else had this problem?

• What type of surgery did you have anterior/posterior? Hardware? Just curious. I will be having L5-S1 fusion soon. Would like to hear more about your surgery. Take care.

• make sure i had comfy bedding. meaning lots of pillows/bed topper.
    i was on a combo of soma & valium at the same time.
    bye the the mark you are at now i was able to use a heating blanket which helped so much. plus hot showers.
    at my 4 week check up i also was allowed to do light stretching. this was done laying on the couch. pulling each knee up and holding for a sec. kept my back from tightneing up.
    but please ask your dr about this first due to your incision.

good luck they do stop in time.
  • had my L5 - S1 in oct. still in extreme pain and no improvemnet in leg leg neuropathy. am still on high doses of oxycontin 3x a day. my sugery was for extreme stensis due from prior L1 fusion 20 years ago. saw pain doc a couple weeks ago and said this is best i will ever get and is exploring a morphine pump since i am failing with oral narcotics. so if you are off heavy narcotics keep your head up and keep going forward, sounds like you might recover, just really remember it is a slow long process and trying to speed it up will only do more damage. beleive me i've tried. I REALLY, REALLY HOPE YOU PAIN GETS BETTER
  • Hi lucymagoo,I had L5/S1 Interbody fusion , rod and screws 14 weeks ago . The muscle spasms are scary but I agree it all takes time . I had a slight lift and twist injury at 12 weeks and emergency Scans were carried out . All looked fine on the scans but it was a huge learning set back . The Doctor said it was Muscles , ligaments and the Nerve. It has slowly settled but I had to rest . I took 2mg. Valium for a while after surgery and other drugs as well . I have a 30mg.patch of Beutronorphine on my chest now that I change weekly and take an anti inflamitory daily plus Osteo Panadol that the Doctor Prescribed. Soon I hope to stop the Beutonrphine and be close to medication free for the first time in three years. Twelve months ago I had an Anterior Interbody fusion at L5/S1 with Cage and an Artificial Disc replacement at L4 at the same time. I fell down a staircase and fractured the Fusion and when they finally worked out why I was in such acute pain , they opperated again. I have been through a lot and it has taught me a lot about my Pain. You sound like you are doing so well . They say WALK and just steady , steady.Our recovery is similar and i feel confident! All the BEST
This discussion has been closed.