Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What motivated me to finally quit

aimlessaaimless Posts: 372
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Stop Smoking
I smoked for 14 years. I went to visit my parents in June of 2002 for my father's 70th birthday, my mom was coughing and hacking her way through the weekend. She was 69 at the time, Called it a tickle in her throat or something; her doc was trying to get her to quit smoking but she had been a smoker for 50 years. She looked old, had numerous health problems, used a walker etc, but I just remember her gasping for air.

She had 2 unsuccessful spinal fusions in the mid 90's, I have since learned that the fusion success rate is lower for smokers. Anyhow, I went home from that weekend and vowed I did not want to be like that, I wanted to be healthy. I used the patch, then Wellbutrin. I am still on Wellbutrin and may be on it the rest of my life, I have accepted that.

My mom is still alive, she did finally quit. She is on oxygen 24/7 and has survived bladder cancer (very common among female smokers). She is a good listener when I talk about my spine issues, it runs in her family and its nice to have someone who truly understands (though I am fortunate my friends and loved ones are all sympathetic if nothing else). She is also on Wellbutrin.

If I had not see first hand what smoking does to you after 50 years, seen what it does to someone I love, I may never have quit, its the hardest thing I have ever done. Its the first step in reclaiming your health.

But as others here have said, you have to want to do it, and seeing my mom like that made me want to do it. Find what will make you want to do it. Look into your children's eyes, think of the upcoming fusion surgery you may have, think of what you want to do with your spouse or partner when you retire, and trust me, it likely does not involve an oxygen tank unless you enjoy scuba diving. Find your motivation.