Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need lumbar fusion re-done in Sept

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well just got back from the drs. Even though the CT said solid bone fusion on the left. There really is not any fusion at all. Orginal surgery was done Sept 9th 07.
He is not sure if this is causing my severe leg pain while walking or not. We will not know until we re-do the surgery.
It will be set for September again :( :( :(
I asked if the thoracic disk was causing it he said he was unsure about that also. It is possible. But cutting open the chest plate is nothing no dr likes to do.
So we will go ahead and get fused at L-4/L-5 & S-1. And go from there~~~
He was gracious enough to give me lortab 5/500. Without me even asking. He asked me.
I do not want anything stronger so that my post op pain is in control.
I also will be going on chantix to stop smoking. Even though he said most likely that was not the reason. Because my neck fused so well.

Thanks all for being such a great support!!!
Any experiences with revision surgery please let me know. Either here or through PM.

Lots of hugs

• hi terri -remember me????
    sorry ur not fusing and esp. to hear that you are having revision surgery, thats sad to hear.
    terri - i stopped the smokes with champix - i reckon this is the best ive ever done - i never got 1 single craving, i stopped on 3rd feb this year - i just hope im fusing.
    i dont even know when i have to see my doc again.
    glad to announce im now back at work - i still have some issues with pain/nerve pain caused by the screw that went into my nerve root.
    take care honey - just wondering - hows amber???
  • Terri, I am so sorry to hear another back surgery is in the future for you. I'll be thinking about you daily as you prepare. Terri
  • I am very sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation. I cant wait to see my Dr. I really want to know if I am fusing. Be strong.
  • thanks you guys.
    thats why i am here is for support from the loving ppl you are!!!!
    im a nervous wreck of course. ya know questions like is there going to be more pain then the last time???? :jawdrop:
    but at least i know what to expect. it makes it that much easier.
    there will be many more sleepless nights when i come home and lots of nick at night repeats LOL
    also thank goodness for laptops!!!!

as for my amber wamber AJ i talked to her at the beginning of june. her pain is under control now with pain managment. she found a great place. i will be calling her tomorrow and tell her to sign back up on this new site or i will come after her LOL.

i will be going back to pain management for my thoracic disk since it compressing so much. not what i want, neither does anyone. but nothing can be done. ya know the song and dance. wait till bladder and bowel give you trouble. your like huh, what????!!!?? oh yeah thats what i want to wait for. i pee now when i laugh, but hey i blame that one on the kids!!!!!!

anyways here is to hopefully pain free walking with the new surgery!!!! I PROMISE TO WALK WALK WALK WALK no matter how much it hurts. i am also going to start to strenthen some of these muscles so recovery may go a bit easier.

lots of love and hugs to all
    terri ;)
  • i am so sorry that this is happening to you....i am here for you if you need me. luv ya, dot
  • Hi Terry:

Sorry you have to go back in for surgery again. We both had our surgery last Sept. I hope this one is a success for you. What is the date in Sept.? What procedure is he doing this time? My best to you!!!

• First thanks Dot. I wrote you on myspace hunny!!!! I LOVE U.

As for the date it will most likely be the second week of September when the kids return to school.It makes it easier resting and recovering. I will know for sure Wed or Thurs.I would do it next month but we have a week of camping planned since we had to cancel disney. And I just want to try to enjoy the rest of my summer the best that I can. I know I cannot do much right now. But......
    Plus I want to get as much strength as I can before I go in. From reading previous post on ppl who are active and healthy it seems recovery goes much better in most cases.
    As for the procedure it will be a PLIF L-4/S-1 . Last time it was just L-5/S-1.
    I do not want ppl to get worried that lurk and read this. This is just a odd thing that happens like I mentioned before. The dr said it happens. No matter what you did or did not do during recovery.
    I will discuss the BMP with the surgical scheduler when she calls & have her discuss it with the surgeon. To see if that is a option that should be used. NOW lets pray the insurance company will approve another huge surgery like this. FINGERS CROSSED.
    Another good thing is I know I will not be in pain post op as they have my records and they know how low my tolerence is to pain. So hopefully the dosage will be correct this time in the pain pump!!!!!!! Hubby has no time so I will be in the hospy by myself except for the day of. So I am a bit sad. But last time I was out of it totally for 2 days anyway.
    Sorry for writing so much. But Iv just had a whamo of a day with the drs, my brother in law needs surgery to remove the lower half of each lung due to alpha 1 he has to go to Boston , and my cousin age 20 is going to Iraq in the morning. :( :( :(
    So I guess I just need to WRITE WRITE WRITE. Hope ya all do not mind.

Lots of love
    Terri ;)
  • Hi Terry, I am sorry you have to go through this again but just think of the first one as a dress rehersal. Now you have it down to perfection the real thing is next. :D

I used Champix to stop (had to stop min 6 weeks before)as ordered and it was good. (I was on 40 ciggs a day for 30 years) That was back in Feb and though I still get occassional cravings I can easily cope with them.
    Good luck with it and buy some gum. I've never been a gum person but it really did help esp as I was a menthol smoker.

Blessings Sara

• I am so sorry that you are having to deal with so many things at once. If your life is anything like mine when it rains it pours! Please keep us posted with the details and I hope the second time is a charm for you. Good luck.
    BTW- Write as much as you need/want to. Just say whatever is on your mind. Sometimes it really helps to talk(write) about things.
  • I don't mind you writing it all out either.

What a lot of pain to go through again. I know my doc ain't getting me back in for a repeat anytime soon! 2 are my limit!
  • i may be looking at august instead.
    im living on tylenol 3, lortab, soma valium , heat. no sleep and with kids thats a bit tuff on the body and mind.
    calling tomorrow to see what they have open.
    camping first though from the 11th-15!!! not screwing that up.

will let all know. 3rd wk in sept seems to far away i just want it OVER with.

thanks all for being here for me!!!! ;) ;) ;)
  • Hang in there Terri!

Camping! wow, make sure you take your meds - maybe something to sedate the grizzly bears too ;)

Anyway, thinking of you... Bruce
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• OMG!!!! I can't imagine going through THAT again!!! You poor thing, I am sooo sorry!! :( That's my biggest fear. I had a three level fusion going on 26 weeks post-op now. And it absolutely has NOT BEEN FUN!!! I'd rather give birth to 10 children than go through that again!!!

Is there any reason why you didn't fuse??? My NS saw fusing at 20 weeks, (85%). I wasn't allowed to start PT until that time. (I think very smart, frustrating cause I wanted to, but smart!) Did you have a Neurosurgeon or Orthopedic? Did they start you on PT too soon? Are you a smoker? Smoking prevents fusion. What happened?
  • Let us know if your surgery date gets moved up. Yikes, to be in such pain that you are looking forward to it - AND you already know what you are in for - that's a lot of paint there.

Really wish the very best for you - hang in there.

p.s. Where in Iraq will your cousin be going? My DH is there in Speicher, just north of Baghdad. My youngest son is in Kuwait - in Buehring, the base all the Iraq-bound guys stop at on their way in.
  • Thanks for the replies.
    I am going to wait. Kids will be in school just much easier.
    that way it is quiet here all day.
    Plus you know the girl thing. Hair done all that stuff before I go see all the nice Drs!!!! LOL LOL

Still not sleeping at night I feel like a zombie but hey I will deal with it.

Going to start exercises today to help my legs get some muscle tone back in them. So it will be easier when I come back home. As walking is a no go for me, my legs are so painful.

Will continue to keep u up to date!!!!

As for Iraq not sure where he is going they would not tell us. Will know soon.

Love and hugs
    Terri :)
  • Hi Terri,
    Just wanted you to know you are not alone , I too am having my L4 to S1 fusion re-done in September, due to non-fusion and the screws are presently jiggling about in there giving me pains I can`t describe in clean language.
    I hope we can compare notes as the time goes on and that we can share our recovery time together, which will be just days apart , Hope you are going to relax and unwind a little on your little trip away , I have 2 weeks holiday starting Friday , no plans , just hope to have some quality time with my hubby and friends before the practical stuff of getting ready for the op takes over.

Best Wishes Viking :)
  • Viking
    Wow you have to have it over again to!!!! So sorry about that.
    Ughhhh is what I say. And yes I know the language has to stay clean on here. I have like the worse potty mouth but I keep it clean on here }:) }:)
    I will let you know the date in a day or two. They havn't called yet. So I will call them so the insurance company can love me again paying for this all over.

Camping will consist of sitting in my chair , staring at the beautiful scenes. Enjoying the kids and so on.
    To expensive to go anywhere else these days!!!!!

Let me know your date to , so we will keep up with each other!!!!

Hang in there!!!

ERIN: I have tried all sleep meds. They either do not work or give me horrible nasty mean nightmares. So I am just going to deal with it.
    Mabye I should lay off the coffee :D :D :D :D
  • ur funny erin!!!
    i usually have 1-2 cups in the morning or I AM A BEAR image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" /> image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" />

always need one after my nap in the afternoon and of course hubby likes his coffee after dinner. so i drink one then to.
    now mind you i had none last night. took 15mg of valium and a soma and still woke up 2x's!!! ugghhhh..

but oh well i am just dealing. its when i have to go somewhere like today, get in the shower in a few , dress and be gone for about 2 hrs. then i am coming home to CRASH lol
    its cloudy anyway so no lose here on sunbathing =))

hubby wants me to try that trazadone, but with the valium and such i just do not want another med. i really do not think it will work because of the others.

everyone have a GREAT DAY. 8> B)
    i also have to start packing for camping uggghhhhhh [( :S (|: I) I)

oh one more thing i want a nice puffffffyyyy down comforter, my air on and peace and quiet (|: (|: I) I) :)) :)) yeah right!!

oh and LYNNSY meant to answer ur question . yes i am a smoker. but i fused fine with my cervical. i have a ortho who is the head of the dept of surgery at the hospy.
    he says ya smoke or if ya do not smoke. sometimes well it just doesn't matter. he has had so many patients not smoke there whole life and not fuse. (sticky subject for some people) so basically if your going to fuse u are, if you are not then your not.
    no its not a good thing to. but when your nerves r shot and and your in pain its a pacifier.
    i will be quitting before surgery. with the help of chantix.
    i had no PT as i was doing so well after surgery. he did not think it was nessasary to do so.
  • Hi all hope this day finds you all well :*

My surgery date is set for Sept 17th!!!
    Hopefully this one takes and we do not have to go in again.
    He will do L-4/S-1 . Other surgery on Sept 9th 07 it was only L-5/S-1
    Figures he goes on vaca 3 days after my surgery how dare him?? LOL
    This time we will get sent home w/ percocets and not lortab so I do not have to fool around with that issue again.
    For those that remember that ordeal from the old site :T
    So now its just wait and prepare again. 8>

Thanks everyone for their support.
    Terri O:)
  • Thanks Erin!!! ;)

Yes it is easier this time ya know what is going to happen, the pain level etc...
    So I am pretty much set!!! I have no nerves at all right now. Things are going well on that end.

Hope your feeling well!!
    Lots of love
    Terri :*
  • Hi TerriV! I just posted a really long comment, and then I lost it, so I'll re-post later. Long story short, I also need revision surgery, will probably be in November b/c of a family wedding in Mexico. I've been crying for two days, but happy to have my pain recognized.

I'll post my ordeal soon, but good luck to you dear. We are too young to accept this type of pain level as "normal"!!! :-)
  • Oh Terri - I am so sorry that you have to go through this ordeal again.

But on the other hand, KNOW that this WILL make your life better.

I was discharged as a patient by my surgeon back in Dec. He never said, but it looked to me like I was fusing. I wish I could get another xray to find out for sure, but I suppose that as long as I am functioning ok, I will assume the best.

I will try to hang around as much as possible and give you encouragement, as you did for me. =D> =D> =D> =D>