Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5/S1 fusion decompression one week ago

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello Everyone,

My surgery was one week ago and so far so good. Before surgery I could barely walk or stand more than a few minutes I was in terrible pain.

During surgery they brought in a third surgeon due to the condition of a "nerve bundle". This surgeon was an expert on this type of thing and helped to try and uncrush them (this is the best of my recollection of the converstation).

Post operative pain was bad, but honestly not as bad as I expected. Once I was fully awake (the second day) and they put both of my feet on the ground to walk I noticed immediately that the pain in my hip leg and foot were gone. I have a bit of numbness but they say that too shall pass after time.

My surgical incision is very painful. My husband has been wonderful in the hospital and now at home. If you do everything they say to do and NOT do the things they say not to it is manageable.

I know this may not last but for now this is the first time in almost 4 years I have not had stabbing pain in my back, hip and leg so I'll deal with the incision. I see my doctor tomorrow to remove the staples.

5 hours of surgery was well worth it for me.

• that is wonderful news , I am so happy to hear that you are doing so well. Keep up the great work and please continue to keep us posted....take care , Miki
  • Just don't overdo it! I understand that's pretty common when people feel so good so soon after surgery. Don't get discouraged, too, if you have a minor setback here and there; you may not feel as good 3 weeks from now as you do right now, for example. It seems these things have lots of ups and downs, but it sounds like you're doing GREAT, and that's wonderful! Good luck to you - wishing you a speedy recovery!
  • I'm so excited for you!!!

Glad they had an expert that they could call on too.

Do you think the staples may have increased your pain? I know I am amazed at how little my incision hurts. The deep back muscles seem to hurt the most for me. But then I only got dissolvable stitches, no staples or exterior stitches.
  • Toni that is great news.
    Yes it is early days and like all of us you will have ups and downs I am sure but lets be positive that there will be a lot more ups! :D
    Isn't is wonderful to realise that pain has gone!

Now you can start planning for something special in the future. Dont rush it but maybe for a weekend away in a few months or something like that. It is good to have a goal awaiting us and something to stive for.
    Me - I plan to walk up the Sydney Harbour Bridge in January!

Blessings Sara
  • Ok, now I've been post op for 11 days. Still no pain in hip or leg but did experience a trip to ER due to serious consitpation issues. That has been the worst part of all of this.

I do all they tell me to but it still has been difficult having a BM.

The best thing to come out of this is realizing how many wonderful friends i have here in Oklahoma. Our families live far awa but this family here in Oklahoma has been wonderful! Feeding us, helping my husband with cleaning trips to doctor, everything.

I'll keep everyone posted! Toni
  • Congrats on a successful surgery, that is fantastic. Has the incision pain improved?
    Oh, and probably a decent number of people here take stool softeners, you're never alone :)

• Stool softeners, lots of graham crackers and even when I was desperate (it worked) a full dose of Milk of Magnesia followed by a small can of Prune Juice. It worked in just over 2 hours. It was intense but it worked.

Good Luck and make sure you have some MOM & PJ on hand!
  • Hi

I am due to have surgery somewhere within the next month, I will be having a l5/S1 decompression and fusion. I am only 20 and currently studying in the USA on an athletic swimming scholarship, I need to go back mid august as the school year starts on September first. I am unsure of what my options are now, I dont think I will have enough time to recover and start training with the team when I return. I have been told by my doctor that I will be able to get in the pool after about 6 weeks but I dont know what kind of shape I will be in and if the pain from the Op would have healed.

Thanks everyone