Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

almost went to emergency last night

Jim_LJJim_L Posts: 189
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
well, my lumbar fusion is going very well, i'm doing yard & housework & replaced a tarp on my roof last week. Yes it does hurt afterwards. The main 'problem' i've discovered is the past week i've been able to finally start sleeping on my stomach again! (yay...)

Now after I came home from surgery, sleep was intermitant as I kept waking up whenever I went onto my back (stop breathing) or stomach. I'm a stomach sleeper. So while my thoracic area was hurting, the pain started fading away until it was gone.

Now about 3 days ago, I started waking up with my thoracic area 'bugging' me again. Yesterday was a cane walking day and last night in the kitchen I reached up to the cupboard to get a cup and that set the pain off. I had to use my son and my cane to just get back to my recliner. I was also overdoing the oxycodonne throughout the day to no effect.

Eventually I REALLY had to go pee so my son helped me limp into the bathroom but I was unable to hold myself up in order to get my business done so I called him in to help me get back to the living room. The pain was so bad that I gave up trying to move and just lied down on the floor in front of the toilet for 30 minutes (not with my shorts down either...;>).

After more pills and waiting (& crying & screaming and having a hard time breathing), I managed to hand crawl partway back to my recliner then have my son help me. I then popped a vicodin then about 2:30am I REALLY had to pee (bladder of steel baby! Yeah!) so I took a chance and managed to get outta the chair and go, then I managed to crawl in bed praying that I'll be able to get outta bed this morning (I did).

I called my surgeon today and wound up talking to his assistant he said to take it easy and would I like some kinda (I forgot the name) med pack that takes 48 hours to work. He seemed to think I wasn't being serious about the pain and there's nothing they could do so soon after my recent surgery anyway(like hell!).

If the pain flairs up again, screw it, i'm calling the ambulance and I'll see my surgeon and his assitant at the hospital...;>)

Ok, enough typing, gotta go lie down again!

• Glad to seeya back! sorry for the agony,bummer eh? take it easy on yerself bro
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• It sounds like you may have re-injured yourself. A few years ago after a hard day at work, I reached up for something and jumped a little and after a couple hours I was in tremendous pain. Had it checked out and was diagnosed with a thoracic strain injury.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
    Hi Jim,
    I know you are an old-timer when it comes to Thoracic problems. Sorry to hear its flared up again. Its really so easy to trigger of an event with the thoracic discs and deep muscles.
    When you can do it, maybe getting into a shower and lots of hot/moist heat or if not, just some moist heating pads.
    Something to help with the pain medications to manage some of your pain.

Good luck
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Bad bad Bad Jim, Does this pain teach you a lesson. You must be as stubborn as me. I have been in bed for three days going on four for over doing it. Slow down! But I do know when we feel good we want to do. Glad to hear the lumbar went good. Real glad to see you back on line.

Have a great day! :P