Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spondys sleeping during pregnancy

TammyTTammy Posts: 84
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi folks,

Nope, not pregnant, just figuring things out in case I decide to try. So I was just reading on babycenter.com that you are not supposed to sleep on your back after 20 weeks. Well, I've ONLY been able to sleep on my back since about January 2007. I sleep on my back with a pillow under my upper legs and go the whole night like that. So, for you spondy chicks who were pregnant with spondy at some point in your lives, how did you sleep?

• I don't have spondy, but I had a baby 6 weeks ago. My midwife said there was no actual proof that sleeping on your back is as dangerous as it is made to seem. She said I should sleep however I was most comfortable - I was stomach sleeper prior to being pregnant. I was unable to sleep laying on my left side (and stomach wasn't possible once my belly got big), so that only left my right side to sleep. She said to go ahead and sleep on my back if that's how I was comfortable.

I definitely second the pillows. I got a body pillow that was my favorite purchase during pregnancy!

Hope that helps!
  • My husband and I are talking about getting pregnant soon, but I'm curious on the effects of pregnancy on my spondy. I have had spondy for at least 10 years now and can sometimes cause me great pain. Will the weight of a pregnancy cause my spondy to progress to something worse? or cause me ALOT of pain? What about delivery? I've heard of some cases of women cracking their tailbones during delivery. That is how I go spondy, I cracked my tailbone twice in gymnastics. Should I consider c-section over regular child birth?
    Any advice would be great! Thanks
This discussion has been closed.