Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

One year update

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
Hi all. I haven't posted here in awhile. I had some other health issue that have taken my focus. An unruptured brain aneurysm (now coiled) that was discovered as a direct result of my back injury (long story). At any rate, I wanted to let you know that there can be light at the end of the tunnel. One year ago this week I was in the hospital for a micro discectomy on L5 S1 from a rupture after being pushed in a charity 10K race. I was in pretty bad shape and did the standard PT and epidural blocks prior to surgery. Things were going from bad to worse so I opted for the surgery. I had a very difficult recovery process. Three months post and I was still in some serious pain, but then things slowly began to improve. At that time I was more focused on the brain issue than anything. I completed 6 weeks of PT then went for 6 weeks more of Pilates based PT. By the holidays, I was doing OK but still depressed that I was unable to do any real cardio exercise. I was an avid runner and really missed it. Somehow this spring I was able to go for a short jog without suffering any sciatic pain. I slowly increased it and just last week I did my first 5K since the accident. I did pretty good time too 22:45! Now, I know I now have a "new norma"l and some of things I was able to do before will be out of the question - but I feel like I have some of my life back. This Board has been a God send. Best to all in your recovery.

• That is very good. I am sorry you had to go through everything but I'm glad your back on your feet. can't wait one day...
  • it is great to see you and even better to know that you are doing so well. I am truly sorry that you had other health issues to deal with but it does seem as though you have pulled through. Please try to keep us posted when you can because it is always wonderful to hear about the success stories on here. Take care and keep up the marvelous work.....Miki
  • :) Hi! it is good to have you back on the forum board. sorry top hear about your medical detour. atleast the back surgery was successful. be sure and tell your story under "Good News." have a look around and good luck with your running! Jenny :)
  • hi there kev,
    i remember you from a year ago - i had a L4/5 fusion,
    its great to hear that alls going well. sorry to hear about the other prob with the aneurism-glad its sorted now - gosh that was a close call!!!
    its amazing how we heal over a long period of time, and how long recovery really is for any type of back surgery.
    im also back at work and yes i have my life back too - but there will always be things i cant do or wont do for fear of re-injuring or hurting,
    anyways good to hear from you and take care,
    AJ x