Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone NOT needed a second surgery?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
all your posts are mentioning a 2nd surgery. what is up with that? the last thing i want is to have to have a 2nd surgery from the damage from the 1st one.

• Actually not that many of us end up with a second surgery. The statistics from this forum are skewed because the people who have the surgery and get better quickly just move on and no longer post here. My second surgery was not necessarily for damage caused by the first one. I did not fuse and some of hte symptoms returned, so I had to have a revision. not additional levels. To get an accurate percentage of those who need additional surgeries, try discussing this with your doctor. I have a sister who had a single level ACDF, was off all pain killers 2 days post op, and back to work within a couple of weeks. My doc told me I would be returning to work 2 weeks post op. didn't happen, but I think the majority of people do have good results and can just move on with their life.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I can agree with Cindy on the second surgeries. After my first ACDF in November 2007, the healing process went well, I was off of all meds in a week, at best I may have taken a muscle relaxer here n there. All the symptoms were gone that I was having.....it was the amount of damage that my cervical spine had, that caused the second surgery. The doctor's( both OS and NS) told me that when they started the first surgery and saw the amount of damage, they would have to do a second surgery because they felt that my body would not handle 12 to 16 hours of surgery. They needed to stablize the C spine as quickly as they could, which they did, but the damage to my spinal cord was already done, hence the need for the second surgery to try and release the pressure on my spinal cord and stop the progression of myelopathy, which at this time, 4 months post op, they seem to have done. They also said that some of my symptoms MAY get better with time, as long as three years from now, but some of the symptoms will probably stay with me in one form or another. As far as work goes, no one can say when I will be going back to a job, the only thing they have said is you will not be going back to your old job( master plumber) unless you do so at your own risk...I still feel that my surgeries have been sucessful in doing what the doctors set out to do, keep things from getting worse. Most sucess stories do not get put on the board because people do get on with things and forget to keep in touch. The best bet is to talk things over with your doctor to stay on the same page as he is.

This discussion has been closed.