Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Range of Motion (ROM)

MazyMMazy Posts: 272
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have very little ROM now. But, heck--what's a little stiff neck compared to ACDF and recovery, right? So, I would like to ask you brave souls that have undergone the surgery a question. Has your ROM improved after surgery and recovery? Please share your experiences. Thanks!--Mazy

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hey Mazy,
    I will have to say that after my cervical fusion my range of motion seemed to be real good yet. Then as time has progressed, (1 year this month) my r.o.m
    has gotten less. I was told by the neurosurgeons nurse after my follow-up appt. that as the fusion takes place my r.o.m. may possibly diminish somewhat. Take care.
  • My old buddy, Ranger! I remember you were one of the first spineys to offer your help and support when I first found SH. How are you feeling? Thank you so much for response.--Mazy
  • I went through 4-5 months of PT to regain ROM. Then I continued with yoga & pilates. I think the continuation of yoga after PT helped to improve my ROM even more than what I had once the PT was done. It's not how fast you can do the exercises, but more about being constant and consistent without causing pain. I'd say my side to side ROM is 90%. Looking up seems normal. Looking down is the worst. I can't tuck things under my chin and hold it (like folding towels or sheets). As I also just mentioned in another thread, if I hold my head down for any length of time my leg begins to get irritated....not really sure why it's still irritated so easily. Most people looking at me that don't know I had surgery would not even notice the ROM limitations.

Take care!
  • For the info. I appreciate knowing everyone's experiences.--Mazy
  • Sorry Mazy I can't really answer your question just yet since I am almost 2 weeks post op. As of right now my R.O.M STINKS!!!!!
  • This is something that I am waiting to find out... I'm almost 8-weeks post op from c6-c7 ACDF, but being that my collar just came off only 10 days ago, I haven't really moved my neck much.

I'm going to say its still pretty stiff, but hey, no pain makes me very happy.

For almost a year I hardly turned my neck because of all the pain/discomfort, so I honestly don't think I remember how to really move my neck normally.

My daughter and wife joke with me... I think I'm turning my neck, they say yeah, with your most of your body - LOL
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    I hope I can be of some help just like the others here that offer their support.
    I'm doing ok, especially with the warmer weather. Lower lumbar is starting to
    talk back to me so when the weather gets cold again who knows what that will bring. Almost one year for the cervical fusion and a CT scan in Sept. to
    see where that is going but life continues on and for the most part rather good.
    Take good care Mazy
  • Thanks for your responses! I once complained about my stiff neck to my physiatrist, and I asked if I should be wearing a collar just to give my neck some rest, and he said "A collar? And you think your neck is stiff now..." :) --Mazy
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    3 months post surgery and my ROM has consistantly improved .... better than pre-surgery ... I can actually touch my chin to my chest now. (and pain free) Yippie !!

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• I'm wearing it now, having overdone it and aggravated the nerve. My NS says to put it on to rest, but I only do it every couple weeks, you know when I do something stupid ;)

But my ROM is not great, and whenever we try to work on it in PT, the nerve whines, complains, makes my shoulder etc sore. So I can see left pretty well, look down far enough to navigate stairs, and looking up isn't so bad. Looking right, now that is a dilemma, particularly driving. But who wants to drive these days anyhow. Maybe next year.
  • Have to say that my ROM may have improved since I have been going to PT. Perhaps I will have him see if I have had any improvement over the last 8 weeks. I do notice less left and right looking while driving, have to turn my body more than I did after my first surgery and laying my head on my left or right shoulder is next to nill. But again I am feeling much better now than I did, so that is a good thing :D
  • I know you are probably really anxious to get to 100% activity but be careful! Those Aspen collars look so big and scary! I have very limited ROM now. But, I'm trying to learn to live with it!--Mazy

Marosene-glad you are improving every day!--Mazy
  • Hi Mazy I had a cervical fusion ACDF at C-4 C-5 in November of 2007. Not only did it relieve the problems I was having with my arm and pain in my neck, I did not notice any loss of my range of motion, and it may have even improved a bit because movement was no longer causing pain. Unfortunately I have developed new symptoms and may need additional fusions. I am looking for multiple level cervical fusion patients to see how much range of motion they have lost.
  • Hello Metalneck, Looks like I may be facing almost the exact same surgery that you had. I currently have a ACDF at C4-5 that was done in Novemver of 2007. I have developed new symptoms and problems at more levels and it has been suggested I have additional fusions at C-4-5 and C6-7. I am concerned with the long term effects of this surgery on both my range of motion and the numbness and tingling in my hands.