Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

what should i expect after surgery?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
After two months of horrendous lower back/hip/pelvic and leg pain what my primary docs thought was a compression fracture has turned out to be a tumor at L3. I got two opinions from a spinal surgeon and neuro surgeon and this was confirmed. A biopsy was performed this past Wednesday and a corpectomy (sp)will be scheduled within the next 3 weeks ... assuming the biopsy comes back indicating the tumor is benign. My surgeons told me that the recovery period for this type of procedure is 6-9 months. This seems like an extremely long time to me ... anybody else have this operation? They hope to be able to do the entire operation through my left side by told me that they may have to also operate from the back. Should i expect immediate relief from pain? I've already been out of the office for 2 months and am bored to death. The problem is, sitting is the most painful position for me to be in. I can't wait to be back to normal.

• Seems strange that theyre going to operate on L3 through your side, I thought they operated on that one through the back. I dont know, I might be wrong.
    Well, Welcome and I Hope someone can help answer your questions in here for you.

Good luck with your surgery.

Christina :)
  • I don't how the tumor will make your recovery different, it might. But most of us really do take 6 to 9 months, even a year to recover.

Occasionally you see someone going back to work in 2 weeks or so, but it's usually with heavy restrictions and to a very mild job.

I am a librarian and although I am not quite 2 weeks post op I am pretty sure I will not be released to work until at least 3 mo. post op.

I have to be back at 4 or lose my job, so I am nervous. Particularly with my right leg being weak and numb. Hopefully I know more on my 4 week post op NS apt.

p.s. the physical therapist I saw today said that I should not exptect to be released to drive for at least 6 weeks.
  • My surgeon is letting me go back to work Aug 25 WITH a lot of dos and don'ts. I am fortunate to have a job that allows me to pretty well do what is good for me. I can sit, stand, or walk around my classroom (rather - school jail) and there is a couch that I can lay down on during my 30 min lunch break. However, I have been told not to move heavy books, boxes of school supplies, be careful when doing things overhead.

In my opinion, that is what students are for. If they don't follow the rules - slave labor. They don't call me LAW for nothing!