Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post-surgical and stir crazy!

froggyrn1ffroggyrn1 Posts: 90
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in New Member Introductions
Hey all!
I had a hemilaminectomy and a micro-discectomy about 2 1/2 weeks ago on L-5/S-1 due to a work injury that happened 15 months ago. My back/hip/leg pain has been worse than before the surgery, but the doc said that's normal for a lot of people and that it should go away soon (any input here??). I was doing really well, up to walking about 2 miles a day, until Friday I had a pretty bad flair up, and I've been in bed since.
I think the hardest part of all of this for me has been the stir craziness I feel. I have lots of stuff to do around the house that I enjoy, and I live in a beautiful area for walking, but I just can't beat this feeling :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
A friend of mine found this site and recommended I check it out and I'm excited to get in touch with others who are in similar situations.
Here's to a speedy recovery for all!

• I'm new on here as well,just joined end of july myself. 8) So really just wanted to say hi and I certainly hope your doctor is right and you'll be feeling better soon!! I feel your pain though,I'm going through some tuff painful time myself right now. Hope things get better for you, Best of Luck to you. smallfrie :)
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.you are lucky to be living in a house you enjoy. any little projects you can get started on? i always have my music, magazines and the computor next to me and those keep me busy.you may not be able to conquer the world right now so take it easy on yourself. take these times when you have the flair ups to really rest and do some thinking. it isn't often we get to slow down and just think. have a beautiful day! keep us informed as you progress. Jenny :)
  • After my first laminectomy, I still had hip and thigh pain for several months, but it wasn't worse than before surgery. And it did decrease to a level of only irritating after about 6 months, but has never gone away completely.

Not much help in your situation, I know, but hopefully your pain will gradually decrease, too.

Good luck!
  • I spent about 8 months of stir crazy many years ago while wearing a brace recovering from a vertebrae fracture. I don't know much about the surgery and I'm new here too, but I can relate with the stir crazy feeling. For me, just getting outside helped. I had no transportation and was trapped in my apartment. I watched alot of tv. I don't know what you have for limitations but try to accomplish something in this time. Try to watch funny stuff if you are stuck in bed. Do you read? Try positive imagery of everything healing. There are all sorts of tapes and stuff out there. Good luck and let us know how you are doing!
  • wet blanket but, I had MicroD about 8 months ago and am still in worse pain than before surgery. I never felt better immediately after surgery like you have though so hopefully your case will be totally different. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • I think the thinking part is what gets me in trouble. I've always had the kind of mind that just likes to run, and lately thinking really depresses me, so mostly I'd like to make it stop. Maybe meditating would help; any tips?
    Growing up, my main outlets were all the different sports I was into. Now, I'm in the middle of 4 different books, just finished an oil painting, I've dabbled in some continuing education related to work, I listen to music, watch online shows and DVD movies...but in the end, I've got a ton of energy to burn!
    I definitely think slowing down is a great idea, unfortunately that is something I don't think I ever learned :(
  • Wow sorry to hear about your situation. How have you been handling your life in the last 8 months? Meaning, what have you done to keep your head from exploding (which is kinda how I feel after just 2 1/2 weeks)?? Um I'm thinking I probably need to head over to the emotional people area of this site...LOL!
  • I feel for you - almost the same story, and I also posted in the "radiculopathy" thread to give some more perspective... I am almost 9 days postop from L4-5 & L5-S1 discectomies. I am also a nurse (Neuro/Spine OR), and the neurosurgery coordinator at my hospital. I AM GOING NUTS!!!!! I've read a book a day since last Wednesday and I'm bouncing off the walls. I have postop leg pain and numbness as well, but my surgeon (I've worked w/him for 8 years) warned me that I probably would and that it would (should) go away as the nerves healed. He told me this the morning after the operation when I had absolutely no leg symptoms, and sure enough on about day 2 postop they started to appear. I can't say mine is as bad or worse like yours is, but it's definitely there. Take heart and know it really should get better, and know you're not suffering alone! Best of luck to you!
  • try and take it a day at a time. I know for me, that was a bad part of it. When you are used to going wide-open all the time and suddenly come to a screaching halt. I felt like i was going insane. I mean, there's only so much TV a perso can watch. I caught myself watching Rachel Ray and LIKING IT!!! I think that's about the time i found this site. Keep coming back and try and be positive.
  • Hey all! Thanks so much for responding, I really appreciate the support. Just as an update, my leg pain is about the same still at 3 weeks post-op, but I've been getting creative with my walking time so its helped a little.
    Emotionally, I'm a crazy roller-coaster though, going from being grateful for what I've got to fits of depressed what's the point-ness. This site has been really helpful, especially at night when I can't fall asleep. My mind likes to take that should-be dream time to run laps, so I've been hangin out with all the other sun-downers in the chat room.
    Its been fun kinda getting to know all of you through the chatting and the posts.
    Take care and write soon :-C