Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tens Unit anyone?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Alternative Treatments
Hey I have been using a tens unit for only three days and was wondering if I should use it all the time or what?

I had hand surgery and insurance is paid for me to borrow it from an orthropedics so I don't need it anymore for my hand and I thought my back hurts like a mess so why not?

What do yall (you all) think? Hey I'm a southerner here ok!! lol lol

Have yall had any problems out of it and does it cut your pain level down in half than before?

• i say sure try it on your back. the unit is not made for just a specific body part so you could use it on your back. give it a try and it could work for you! good luck! Jenny :)
  • I have a Tens Unit, and was given to me by my chiropractor. Most Tens Units have 15-20 min intervals, and then they shut off. However, the chiropractor says that I can use it as much as I want. As long as your skin doesn't get irritated or it starts to hurt, you should be fine.
  • I sure don't have any problems with it irritating me but now since I've used it the pads won't stick on me, they fall off. I use paper tape but even then it falls off. I was going to get one from my workers comp insurance but they denied it and wanted me to get and SI before they sent out an unit for me.

This one I have will have to go back soon but I was wondering is their a part in the back I shouldn't use it on?

I've been trying to use it around the injections site or near them at least and the other leads I was using up in the Thoriac part of my back. My tens unit is from orthro care and they have it set at 100 something 100 to constant stay on and not move all 4 wires stay on until you turn off the machine. I have the button turned all the way up on 5 for both sides and sometimes I have to even bump it up more to 6-7.

• I use my TENS on my back, butt (one cheek at a time), down the leg and on my shoulder. Medicare required my PCP evaluate my need and he wrote it up for 12 months. I do use it every day on one part or another (have "Pick a joint" arthritis.

When the company gets the papers back from Medicare they are supposed to contact me and I can get new pads - the sticky does wear out. Maybe you can contact the maker of your unit.
  • I might be getting my own tens unit from WC they will buy me one for my own! My WC doc thinks I might benefit from one so he thinks. I called orthro care to ask could they sent out new pads they said sure they will so I should be getting them very soon, they're in CA which is on the other side of the world from me I'm in GA the other side of the coast line. lol long ways from me.

When I'd use it my back part of my back where the electriobes are get numb is that normal?
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    Misty, I can't say that the area get numb, a little tingling, but that was just a few minutes after I stopped using the tens. Five minutes later, nothing in that area.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Medicare turned me down on keeping the TENS unit. However, the company is going to send the papers back to my PCP so he can refile them. I needed to have had the pain longer than was indicated. We are going to go back before the surgery - just didn't understand that it needed to be from the time my back started to hurt - not when I had surgery. Hope it works this time. I have a feeling I will need it when I go back to work.