Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Opiate refill

I have been on a low dose 5/325 of vicodin for years. I called today for my refill and the receptionist said the doctor wanted to talk to me when I picked it up. 
Has anyone ever had that happen? If so why?
I am so nervous I don't want him thinking I am a drug seeker or anything like that. It sucks with all the new regulations.
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,623
    Chrissie,

As long as you have never had problems with refills before (needing a refill before normal time), they might want to talk to you about your opioids and potential of lowering the dosage (or changing) the medication.

The receptionist didnt give you any idea about what the subject was going to be?

Plus, your last sentence, about you being so nervous.   Is there any reason for you to be nervous?

The DEA and CDC guidelines (which is what they really are) is something for doctors to follow and instruct their patients.
    My doctor has been following the DEA and CDC guidelines and some other strict ones, but that has never impacted the process for my doctor to write opioid refills.   I've been doing this with the same doctor for over 10 years now.

When are you seeing the doctor?
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I have never had any issues. The receptionist didn't say anything about the subject. The only reason I am nervous is the stories I have heard and read. I am a worrier always have been.
  • advertisement
  •  Is it your family doctor prescribing Vicodin? If you go to pain mgt., you have to have an office visit every time. Perhaps he wants to refer you to PM since it's now the usual practice for patients on long term opioid use, if this is the case. 
    Ol' Spiney..Micro-D L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central HNP L4-S1,stenosis, retrolisthesis, EF, facet arthropathy, lumbar& cervical DDD. FBSS- Medtronic pain pump & SCS
  • It is an orthopedic surgeon. Been with him for about four years.
  • Chrissiehope usually a surgeon only prescribes medications for post op pain. I'm really shocked he's confined to do so, for so long. My guess is he is going to refer you over to a pain management doctor to take over your treatment. 
    Spine-Health Moderator 
    DDD
    Ankylosing Spondylitis
    Annular Tears with Disc Extrusion L4-S1
    Moderate Central Canal Stenosis
    Moderate Foraminal Stenosis
    Enlarged Facet Joints/Ligaments
    Spinal enthesopathy
    L4-L/5 PLIF with cages, rods, screws 2/15 

• advertisement
  • That would make sense.
  • Aviatrix36440Aviatrix36440 Posts: 5,744
    edited 03/21/2017 - 1:47 AM
    Chrissiehope.....  First off, Welcome!!!!!  Being a retired Supervisory Agent who was also "cross designated" to enforce the laws of the DEA, this is how the regulations are set for the most part.  First off the CDC makes recommendations to the FDA reference various opioids and narcotics.  The FDA then reviews said recommendations and then through committees make recommendations.  These regulations then go to the states and the AMA - which then sets the rules and baselines for prescribing - there is a bit of a diffence in so far as which type of doctor can prescribe narcotics/opioids etc.  The DEA Agents are the enforcers of laws and regulations concerning schedule and controlled drugs.

In basics, an ER doctor, or say,...your GP, or surgeon for that matter can prescribe for an acute case - (short term) such as surgical recovery, dental surgery, severe sprains, broken bones etc.  The regulations as put out by the FDA (of which is enforced by Agents from the DEA, and too others Feds (such as I was) are the enforcement leg.  For chronic pain such as many of us on here....your prescribing must then be done by a doctor who is Board Certified specifically in "Pain Management."

As was stated above in this thread, this "PM management". (Again, talking chronic here - long term) you see your PM in most cases monthly to renew your scripts.  Thanks to the abusers out there, and the "pill mill" explosion.....many of which have been shut down in Florida - thank goodness, we can no longer get 90 day scripts.

Most times (in defense of the receptionist), the office staff is not privy to all of the doctors reasons for appointments.  My PM, and if I remember correctly -all- have to have their long term pain patients sign a contract.  This also includes random urinalysis to confirm you are taking the prescribed controlled medications, and too, they have a list of other medications (LSD, Heroin etc.) that they test for to be sure you're not using illicit drugs as well.

So, your appointment could be to refer you to a PM Doctor, could be a drug screening, or as also stated above, a review of your present medications and doses to see if said medications are working for you.  I'm lucky in that my PM was also my Anesthesiologist during my surgery, so he was thoroughly aware of my medical and pain management needs.  I've been with his for 7 years now.  :-)

Please let us know how it goes.  Good luck!!

Brenda

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • My guess, they may want you to sign an agreement or just see you so they aren't just giving out refills. I had to sign a new agreement when I saw them earlier this month.
    Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
  • chrissiehope
    Hi 
    If you haven't done anything to cause the doctor concern I wouldn't worry. Of course that is easy to say with everything going on we are on edge somewhat at least I am and I follow the rules. It could be something very positive like he has some ideas like referring you to another doctor or something so try to think positive. 
    Let us know what you find out and hang in there.
    Sherri
    Aviatrix36440 
    Hi
    First I just want to say it is wonderful and I mean it that you have a great relationship with your doctor that means so much.
    Your post was interesting and I learned a few things from your input. I am curious when did that rule or law  below was put in place the part where "your prescribing must then be done by a doctor who is Board Certified specifically in "Pain Management" ? If that is the case and I am sure you are aware there are many people who that is not the case. Just one example I have family and friends that have Chronic Pain and live in areas that a "Board certified Pain management" doctor is not available or possible for them to see. There are still many who's meds are being prescribed by other types of doctor's as you are aware. So if that is the case I am just curious as to when it was put in place  and I wonder how they think that will be achieved given all the complications involved.

In basics, an ER doctor, or say,...your GP, or surgeon for that matter can prescribe for an acute case - (short term) such as surgical recovery, dental surgery, severe sprains, broken bones etc.  The regulations as put out by the FDA (of which is enforced by Agents from the DEA, and too others Feds (such as I was) are the enforcement leg.  For chronic pain such as many of us on here....your prescribing must then be done by a doctor who is Board Certified specifically in "Pain Management."
    Thanks Sherri
  • Jules1JJules1 Oklahoma City, OklahomaPosts: 59
    Aviatrix, I was forced to get hydrocodone from my PCP instead of my physiotherapist due to my states DEA  "guidelines". I am relatively new to back pain and  Neurosugeon referred me to Physiotherapist after Microdiscectomy August 2016. He writes scripts for Physical Therapy but not pain pills. I don't think my PCP will continue either.
advertisement