Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 days post op

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Surgery was Thursday morning - I got home yesterday afternoon. Except for an unfortunate bout of INTENSE nausea (read: barfed up a gallon :sick: ) on Thursday night, this surgery was a breeze. Now if I can just stay down long enough to heal...

Biggest problem so far is trying to get comfortable when sleeping or online (so I don't seem to do either much) and mild nausea because of meds (wanted to drop 10 pounds, anyway). Other than that, I feel great. So glad I did this.

I hope everyone who is waiting for surgery has as good an experience as I've had.

Good Luck, All! :)



  • Glad to hear you are doing well, Teri. I hope to be in your camp soon. It's nice to hear something encouraging with surgery approaching today.
  • So glad your home.
    Sorry about the nausea. I had a bit but not much. Plus the IV phenergan in the hospy took that away. I did have some here but did not need it often . Made sure to it a tiny bit before I took them. Unless the middle of the night.
    Do you have a laptop???
    If not well I would just pile pillows on the comp chair and sit my 15 minutes I was allowed.
    Otherwise did lots of watching of repeats!!!!
    Hang in there. Sometimes a few steps foward and a few back.
    We are here if ya need us!!!!

    Keep up the recovery!!!! :)
  • Barfing buckets - yep me too, NEVER want to repeat of that experience!

    So glad you are home already, that's way cool.

    I am still can never get comfortable. Can't lay on the right, the numb leg gets realy funky fealing. Lay on the left and I kink my neck. Lay on my back and I just ache all over. I really really can't sit yet, I can manage about 5 minutes max.

    I do find that if I go for frequent short walks it tends to help me feel better nausea-wise, pain-wise and comfort-wise.

    Keep up the good work!

  • I am glad you are home. Staying comfortable is a struggle. I ordered Netflix so I could try to stay still. I can replace Ebert as a movie critic when he leaves in September.

    Sorry for the nausea. I didn't have any of that, but have lost a whopping 20# since the week prior to surgery! Get your rest and heal.
  • Glad your surgery went well Terri. Unfortunately the nausea is sometimes unavoidable, but if you ask your doctor for something it could be controlled. Are you on alot of narcotics? Personally I can't tolerate those and they make me throw up. But if that is the case, the doc can change it to something you can tolerate better.

    Now as far as comfort while sleeping, what helped me greatly was the purchase of a memory foam mattress cover. I got one with 3'' thickness, and it is wonderful. I can recommend it. The only thing you need to do prior to using it is to air it out for a few hours (or longer) as it has a real strange smell. It may not bother you as much as it did me, but once it is aired out it is OK, or maybe you just get use to the odor. But it is a small price to pay for comfort.

    Good luck and good recovery,

Sign In or Register to comment.