Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can anyone help me?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Chronic Pain
This isn't for me, it's for my 14 yr old son. I don't know where to look for more info. I was just told this morning that my son has a 2 degree buldging disc. What's the difference and will he NEED to have surgery? We have an apt with a Neurosurgeon, but it's not until Oct 17th. He's had lower back pain since Nov last yr, but they never done any tests until last week.
Has anyone had this problem? Will he really have to have surgery or can it be treated with physical therapy? He is going twice a week right now.
Any info would be appreciated!
Melissa :?

• If I were you, I would make an appointment with another Neurosurgeon right away. As you already know, it takes a long time to get an appointment with a NS or OS. You will want a 2nd opinion and maybe a 3rd before a 14 yo (especially) goes in for surgery! So, search out a couple of good surgeons and go to see them. Spine surgery is huge, be absolutely positive it is needed!
  • I started having lower back pain in my mid-teens as well aound the age of 15. Every doctor that I saw did not think that it would require any surgery. Lots of PT and massage therapy is what was prescribed for me. Not all herniations wil require sugery either. It really depends on the direction on the herniation and the severity. For many years my pain got better with time and excercise. I am now 28, and just did end up having surgery due to a severe herniation and severe DDD. At that young age the body seems to heal well and react to PT and excercise. Not sure if this will help you at all, but I would make sure to get 2-3 opinions from different docs as well. Good luck. Dan
  • That you surgery and recovery is going so well!!! :)
  • I am so sorry your son is having such pain at this young of an age. I know as a mama of a 2 boys(16 and 12) that I would be going nuts as well. I would try to make another appointment with another doctor as soon as possible. That way you can get a 2nd opinion or heck even a 3rd opinion. I guess I got very lucky with my neurosurgeon. My primary doctor sent me for an MRI on 7-10-08. I was scheduled with the neurosurgeon on 7-16-08, but the called me with a cancellation for the 15th and yep I took it and I was scheduled for surgery on 7-23-08. Melissa please keep us posted on your son and just keep in mind we are all here for you and you son and we understand 100%.

• I don't know what the term "two degree" means. All I can tell you is that I have a bulging disk and with physical therapy, NSAIDS and walking I am feeling better all the time. No longer need the NSAIDS and have not needed surgery. I was diagnosed back in January. My boss, he had a herniation that had him in tears. He did not need surgery either and has recovered. It just all depends on so many variables and only your doctor can tell you.

As the others said, 2nd and 3rd opinions. Also, just because the doctor's title ends in "surgeon" doesn't necessarily mean surgery is a given. I see an Orthopedic Surgeon for conservative treatment. From what I've heard, they go for conservative treatment first and only when that fails or things are really bad do they do surgery. I don't think they like to do surgery on younger people either.

• it was your son's PCP that set up the appt with the Neuro he is probably leaning toward surgery. arm yourself with information lots of which you can find at this site by clicking on the tabs at the top. That way you will be able to ask intelligent questions. I agree with getting a 2nd and 3rd opinion from well respected docs. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • I have three teenage children and it’s hormone central here, will the doors survive these feisty teenagers, painintheback make’s a good point and perhaps we should develop a list of questions based on our experience what questions to ask at this emotional and difficult time. I know you are supporting your boy in the best way possible and from my experience every practitioner had individual ideas and you are looking for some consensus, the more people I saw the more confused I became so be careful, be assured of the best evaluation possible, my eldest had major surgery at 15months and my thoughts are with you at this time.

Take care and be kind to yourself.

This discussion has been closed.